New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I was going to the "Not so secret secret spot" when I came across 2 people walking back. When I got closer the one guy holds up a stringer with 4 bass from 17-20 inches. He says with a smile "nice fish huh" I just shook my head in discust and said " 2 days ago that would have been real nice, but today that looks like a 1000 dollar fine" He looks at me and asked what I meant be that. I told him that bass season was closed from April 15 to June 15 and it is catch and release ONLY. His response was "A Duh I did not know that" I told him to pick up a copy of the game laws, then mabye try his hand at fishing again. I also mentioned that Mr Ranger Sir doesnt accept that excuse. It just boggles my mind at how stupid people can really be. Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The secret spot has been compromised!!!!!! People are ignorant as all get out!! I saw a CO issuing two guys tickets on Hamburgh Tpk this morning.

Did you get anything? I'm looking to there on Sunday if the weather's nice.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did they put them back?
No they were already dead

Shoulda told him the fish were big enough to be pictured in the digest...tell him to hang on while u call F&W lol
Ill keep that one in the back of my mind for next time[rofl][rofl]

He's a game thief!!
That too[down]

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
stupid yes a game thief no if he was a game thief you would not have seen the fish unless he is just one crazy thief then I would not have messed with him LOL He flat simple did not know maybe too lazy to read or was going out with his buddie for the first time I don't know.

WE ALL HAVE MADE MISSTAKES some intentional some by just being stupid I once went black powder hunting when it went out the day before didn't even think about it till I got to the woods in the stand and it bothered me that I didn't see any of the others that hunt out there[eek] I would have asked him did he know that the season was closed? if he did then he deserves Game thief if not then just stupid like you said.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
While I was helping to bucket stock the upper Musky yesterday (Friday in-season stocking in which the river being stocked is closed until 5pm), several anglers came over with rod and reels in hand to catch them as we put them in the river. Had to tell them that the river is closed until 5 pm. All were very good about not fishing and being polite, but it was disturbing to see how many don't bother to read the rules.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
eagle
do you have this number in your cell?
1 800 222 0456
It's for Operation Game Thief
OGT is funded by the NJSFSC and designed to get Sportsmen to report poaching and other wildlife crimes.
Nuff said!

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I had a similar experience at Rosedale lake. A few years back. A guy had a bass on a stringer about 7 lbs he wasn't near his fish though and I released it. He didn't even confront me about it. I guess he knew he was in the wrong.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
do you have this number in your cell?
1 800 222 0456
It's for Operation Game Thief
OGT is funded by the NJSFSC and designed to get Sportsmen to report poaching and other wildlife crimes.
Nuff said!

·
Registered
630 Posts
stupid yes a game thief no  if he was a game thief you would not have seen the fish unless he is just one crazy thief then I would not have messed with him LOL  He flat simple did not know maybe too lazy to read or was going out with his buddie for the first time I don't know.

WE ALL HAVE MADE MISSTAKES   some intentional some by just being stupid  I once went black powder hunting  when it went out the day before didn't even think about it till I got to the woods in the stand and it bothered me that I didn't see any of the others that hunt out there    I would have asked him did he know that the season was closed?  if he did then he deserves Game thief  if not then just stupid like you said.
Please don't think I am singling you out.......BUT yes they are Game Thieves just because you "made a mistake" or "got the wrong date" is in no way an excuse for anything! if 99% of the Hunting/Fishing community can get the correct dates and take time to make sure everything they do is correct doesn't give ANYONE an excuse to "make a mistake" those mistakes is what gives all the Anti's their just cause in saying we are idiots!!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
And If I had been approached by a co I would have taken the ticket Too with out any thing said Just like a speeding ticket. but that does not make me a criminal or a game thief just stupid because I did not pay attention. I am not saying that fellow did not deserve a ticket but to say he is a thief lets look ito it before you condem him.

By the way I am know as a over law abiding outdoors men ask any one that hunts with me and no I have not taken the heat on your post so please do not think, so Just speaking my mind as you did No problems

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the part that gets me. When you grow up fishing/hunting you learn from the people teaching you. In my case, it was my mother and grandfather. We always had a copy of the laws when they came out and read them for any changes, and also kept a copy with us to referance in the field.

If someone was not braught up in this manner, and wanted to try it say once they hit the age of 20 or so, dont you think they would pick up a copy while purchasing a licence. After all they are sitting right there. That is where common sence is tossed out the window, and stupidity takes over.

I did not call the guy a criminal, or a thief, I simply called him stupid. No problems, thats just my opinion, and everyone else is welcome to post their opinion as well.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
You have to read the game rules every year. No excuses. A friend of mine went fishing in NY on opening day the year they changed the trout limit from 10 to 5. I ran into him and he was smiling, saying he caught his limit. When I told him it was now 5 fish, he almost crapped himself. "I didn't know the limit was changed!" Read the rules every year. What he did was criminal, but it was unintentional. There is a difference between being an idiot, and intentionally comitting a crime.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
We all can be guilty of making an "honest" mistake. It comes with age as in my case or matters involving family, work or just trying to squeeze in a couple of more hours outdoors and when we get caught it can be more of an embarassment then anything else.
However, we are talking about the ones that have an agenda to do the wrong thing and we are the ones to police them for our own protection of our sports.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.