New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to turkey hunt up in Jenny Jump, but after 3 disappointing seasons, I've decided to change my location. And since I've had good luck at Assunpink this year, I'm thinking I may hunt this area. Who else will be hunting it? Maybe would could hook up and scout together. Let me know what you think.

David

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was thinking of trying turkey hunting, don't know much about it. It would be great if I could meet up with some of you guys and learn some of the basics. Let me know when you guys plan to meet up. How do licenses work for turkey season? Are they available now?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
You need your regular lisence and then have to purchase a permit.I cant wait to hunt turkey this year.I tell you what looks like a good spot, both sides of manasquan wma.Its alot of land, alot off fields and some hill and steap ridges.I bet it dosent get much pressurre either.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I only tried once years ago. I'd like to try again. It's tough to get the time out though.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
ill be hunting assumpink this turkey season. hopefully the turkeys stay on the wma and not between the houses. dave im planning a scouting trip the first week of march maybe we could meet up then

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Im gona be doin some calling in the woods at allaire statepark after deer season to see ho wthey respond to my calls and decoys.hp1100 let me knwo if you wana meet up this spring.i think im getting the first week(my easter break) and saterdays

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Striper, I wouldn't turkey call them until you hunt them. They get call wise quickly. I would look for sign and either crow call of owl hoot at dark to locate where they roost. Have you seen turkeys there?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Oh I was wondering about Manasquan wma. Did you ever see any in there?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
no but i think that is gona be a awsome spot, it boarders u pto allaire, there isnt realy any pressure theer after small game, i never saw another hunter on the ramshornside, and never saw another person on brick side.Plus they have alot of fields(rye) and ridges hills and the river with some swampy areas.They also have alot of wide walking roads that dont realy get used now, that you can set up in if there not near the fields.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chuck and buckhunter,

Let me know when. I'm definitely interested. Now all I've got to do is apply for the permit. BTW, what permit are you applying for? Saturdays only? Also, what zone is Assunpink for Turkey?

David

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
assunpink is 12.I was gona do assunpink,But never been there and its gona be a big dent in my pocket for a cab there, so I applied for 14 wich is mansquan ,colliers mill,double trouble.BUt i think manasquan is gona be good this year.Plus i done think it gets much pressure.Im hunting first week and saterdays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to turkey hunt up in Jenny Jump, but after 3 disappointing seasons, I've decided to change my location. And since I've had good luck at Assunpink this year, I'm thinking I may hunt this area. Who else will be hunting it? Maybe would could hook up and scout together. Let me know what you think.

David
New to the area was looking for spots for spring turkey Assunpink and turkey swamp were two area's was thinking. But if you have luck in Assunpink then I'll give it a try 👍🦃

1 - 18 of 18 Posts