New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm convinced someone has all the turkeys penned up somewhere. All I'm seeing is a hen or two....sux

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
welp most of the turkeys in this state are down south it used to be they were all north...in my zone 14 you could buy a permit for any week now it is sold out even for e week i think they are starting to be centralized too...my local spot in 14 first day i had gobblers in trees now nothing not a peep and i have saw a couple hens only

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
This has to be my worst year ever also. The birds are there but I just cannot get them in. The hens seem to have a good hold on them this year. I've never had this much trouble getting into it with the hens.

I think their are soooo many guys messing with these birds nowadays they are just getting smarter, at least smarter than me.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Tough year. I was only out 3 days in 2 weeks and now have no permit for 14. I was just starting to get in the groove and finding the birds. It does stink. There are permits available for 12 and 16 if anyone knows where to go

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Elmo, I stopped by a customer's house in Cedar Grove on Thursday. Mrs. complained about all the turkeys she saw that morning crossing her front lawn making a mess and later, big jakes chasing her back to the house after retrieving the mail.[wallmad]

Last year I had three big birds come after me on Upper Mountain Ave, Montclair, behind one of those large homes. Today, I saw a turkey road kill on 46 east at Clove Rd. And, I've had a hen visiting our bird feeder for the last couple of weeks here in Little Falls. But, I'll be going out the next couple of weeks to PA and Zone 1 and will be surprised if I see some.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I have seen more turkey this year than any year in the past. I have seen them in fields in Burlington Twp. and of course in parks where you can not hunt.

In the one park near me I have seen up to 4 toms and 3 jakes dancing in the fields every morning on the way to work.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
you need to get out the night before and put them to bed. after that your best chance is later like 11am when boys are done with the hens and there looking for some new strange. most hunters wont stay late to hunt because of the skeeters and heat.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
down here the wheats getting too high. they don't like to walk in the wet high grass in the morning.
they are changing their patterns with the crops down here. they will bug it later in the day, when the wheat is dry.
i'm seeing some hens on nests. the boys are still looking.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
They are changing their patterns here too. The hens are sitting on the nest at night now. So the tom are really looking for them. They are hitting the thick early in the AM

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Seen 10-15 gobblers on a powerline at 3:30 in the afternoon yesterday later that night Was umpiring a baseball game could hear a couple of gobblers making a racket back and forth to each other this was going on from 8:30pm to well after 9pm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.