New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After just 10 years of Antler-Point Restrictions in Mississippi their bucks showed a significant loss in antler size due to high-grading.

Who would sign a petition to ban Antler-Point Restrictions in NJ, to prevent high-grading from decreasing the quality of our bucks?

Sorry Jpiney, I had to do it. [hihi]

·
Registered
15,556 Posts

·
Registered
15,556 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
statewide qdm let the bucks live to at least two yrs old we will have bigger bucks.if you want meat shoot does it will help the herd anyway.plus people shoot little bucks in qdm's and tag them in neighboring zones that are legal assholes ruinin it for everyone. half the guys are firemen and cops who think they are above the law and unfortunately they get away with it.[wallmad]

·
Registered
705 Posts
THE QUALITY OF OUR BUCKS! [rofl] I guess thats why NJ is the ultimate big buck destination.

I met a guy one time that actually had the skull plates of button bucks hung on his wall!!! Yes we must be very careful not to try anything that would jeopardise such a finely tuned program.

[rofl] [hihi] [lol] [rofl] [hihi] [lol]

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Guys do either of you have stats showing what the average buck harvested produced either body or antlerwise in old Miss?
With all due respect to a 200" buck overall trending tells us more about how the majority of the animals we are affecting by regulation respond.
Lets also keep in mind most states that have high quality animals harvested every year have a buck kill AVERAGEING 3.5 years old even on public land.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
jakesbeard i just posted all the antler entries by county. There are far more in the past ten years in the magnolia state!! This also could be because in the past ten years people are much more concerned with what there buck scores and where it will rank among others.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Here is a sample of Tate county just to show some hard data. There are some counties in Mississippi where up to 80 percent of the states records have been taken in the past ten years.
TATE County

Non-Typical
Firearm, Archery, Muzzleloader, Pickup
Hunter's Name Net Score Gross Score Date Points Picture
Kenny Crockett 193 6/8 199 6/8 2006 18 View
Jody Freeman 191 4/8 193 6/8 2005 20 View
John A. Tucker 161 2/8 165 3/8 1994 14 View
Rhett Hensley 156 5/8 162 0/8 2010 13 View
Typical
Firearm, Archery, Muzzleloader, Pickup
Hunter's Name Net Score Gross Score Date Points Picture
Brad Benton 145 4/8 157 4/8 2007 12 View
Robert Massey 132 5/8 139 5/8 2006 10 View
Robert Massey 131 1/8 134 6/8 2008 9 View
Cade Hawkins 130 6/8 136 4/8 1998 8 View
Don P. Johnston Jr. 129 0/8 131 4/8 2005 8 View
Aden B. Barber 129 0/8 135 4/8 1994 9 View
Aylon Putt 128 7/8 144 2/8 2004 10 View
Clint Hawkins 127 2/8 136 3/8 2005 10 View
Donny King 126 6/8 154 0/8 2003 11 View
Jody W. Freeman 126 4/8 130 4/8 2003 8 View
Laurie Baggett 125 7/8 135 2/8 2006 9 View
Justin Leroy Crockett 125 5/8 136 4/8 2007 10 View
William Gitter 125 0/8 148 3/8 1994 12 View

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
mississippi also has more swamps and better ground to hunt in jersey plus they have more deer.we have good deerhunting in jersey but why do people always try to compare us to other states that have always had great hunting.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
NJ lack of trophy bucks is an easy to put together puzzle smoking gun. The biggest piece of the puzzle is the fact that the majority of the bucks being shot are 1.5 years old or younger and every hunter legally can shoot six. Let's not even include the outlaws that shoot 10 to 12 bucks a season. NJ lack of trophies isn't habitat related it is because the people making the laws only care about money not management.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I don't get why people say that nj can't raise big bucks like the other states. We have the genetics here. There are many of us here on this site that practice qdma and consistently shoot slammer bucks here. Just too many guys killing young bucks in nj. Let them grow up. I think the 3 pt rule would help.

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
alll of you guys are correct we have the genectics we kill nice bucks i got a few myself but we also have a higher concentration of hunters per area not alot of land left and hard long seasons.so yea i would go ahead and tend to agree with you guys but we cant compare our deer herds or sizes to known record book class deer states.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
i put the puzzle together statewide qdm. shoot does for meat help balance the herd.hope scumbag poachers fall while hunting and their gun accidentally fires. let bucks have a chance to at least get old enough to go to college. leave the little guys alone[wallmad]

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
deer in jersey got it tough.your also not stating auto deer collisions.even if hunters stop shooting small guys theres still a good chance hell get killed by car or jacked by poacher.i think we should only be allowed 2 bucks a year regardless the number of permits.[up]

·
Registered
15,556 Posts

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
As a result of a poorly designed antler restiction rpogram...
After just 10 years of Antler-Point Restrictions in Mississippi, (some biologist have claimed), their bucks showed a significant loss in antler size due to high-grading.
When implementing a new antler restriction in program in NJ the state can greatly benefit from the years of on the ground work conducted by wildlife biologists in this area. Specifically, through the combined use of minimum point count and inside spread restrictions...just as NY has implemented in areas such as Sterling forrest...NJ has the opportunity to develop a more effective antler restriction program.

JC

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
JC sterling forest is definitely a leader with their qdma program i agree

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NJ has the opportunity to develop a more effective antler restriction program.
Yes they do, by restricting the number of antlers being harvested.

Less buck tags = more older bucks, without the problems caused by antler restrictions.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts