New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
I haven't gone out in September yet and don't plan on it for my own reasons, mostly because it is still too warm and there are too many chances of losing a deer to the heat. I think that it is way too early to start hunting deer,especially because I don't like taking the chance of shooting a doe with late born fawns with her that I don't see. Even though I know that most fawns are able to get by by themselves I still won't shoot a doe that has little ones tagging along. It wouldn't break my heart if they did away with the September season. This is just me and my opinion so please don't take it as an argumentative situation.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I may be. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I will be out, but in Zones 7 and 10

-dan

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I take advantage of every minute I can get out there. So yes, as always, I will be hunting the early season in zone 8.

I havent had any problems losing deer to the heat yet either. I find that I can get to them quick enough, get em home, skin and quarter em. Butcher em up the next morning, and freeze the meat as I go.

I got two early season last year, and one or two the year before. Wish my memory was better, cause thats as far back as I can remember.[confused]:D

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Hey Woj...you hunting the valley this year?

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Maybe this year I might try a little earlier....
I have a nice spot 35whelan, Ask BHC about it.... Mostly corn fields and some nice looking woods. It's in Zone 10 South Warren County. Let me know if you would like to join BHC, his friend AJ, and Myself.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i don't know. i hate walking around that field. i won't be out alot with the wife pregnant and being due in sept. i'll mostly be at the gorge and high bridge.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Zone 8, Long Valley towards the end of the season. 90 degrees is too warm for me. Bring on the frost and the November rut. Ray

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
i will be out that is the best time to score a doe, then take a buck while it is still in velvet. the deer are easy to pattern

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
my problem is i always see bucks in this early season. i never see the doe.

Dont take this the wrong way, but are you hunting for DOEs or deer at that time? I know is sounds stupid, but hunting just for DOEs is different from hunting deer per-say. There is DOEs where you hunt right? You have seen DOEs there right?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
you can only shoot does at that time. yes of course there are does where i hunt. but it seems like in the early season i only see bucks where i hunt. it takes awhile to see a doe in shooting range to get the "doe first".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts