New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this in an email from a friend check out his warning about "Crustasions rights" He maybe on to something, me I think it may be time to just put some of these reasearchers "To sleep" so as to put them out of OUR misery. Read on.

The birth of Crustacean Rights!

A study by Bob Elwood of Queen's University Belfast in the UK and colleagues in 2007 found prawns were irritated when their antennae were treated with acetic acid, and after a local anesthetic, they'd stop rubbing the antennae. He said this was evidence that they suffer pain, and that lobsters likely feel pain, too.

Elwood thinks its time for some crustacean empathy.

"Millions of crustacean are caught or reared in aquaculture for the food industry," he said. "There is no protection for these animals (with the possible exception of certain states in Australia) as the presumption is that they cannot experience pain. With vertebrates we are asked to err on the side of caution and I believe this is the approach to take with these crustaceans."

"...as the presumption is they cannot experience pain." Rather modern concept. Didn't occur to "researchers" (or cooks) to worry about it a half century ago. What gives birth to all this nonsense? How do these "animal rights" people think animals die in the real world? Painlessly? Like getting torn apart and eaten alive? Like, aren't there any useful things these people could research?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
And when fire is introduced to trees, their branches will actually curl away from the flame. Plants feel pain too. Vegeans are nothing but a bunch of heartless plant killing murderers.[rofl] For every animal they "save", I'm going to eat three.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
i wonder if i can get a grant funded.

it will be a study and measurement of methane produced by varying amounts of beans and beer consumption:D[up]

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
How about a grant to secure huntable farmland, for the study of the effect hunting has on the deer and turkey population.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about a grant to secure huntable farmland,
[up]

for the study of the effect hunting has on the deer and turkey population.
To be consumed with....and studied along with
it will be a study and measurement of methane produced by varying amounts of beans and beer consumption
[up][up][up]

Let me know if you require my "Techincal support".

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Know what the difference is between now and 50 years ago? 50 years ago there were nuts like this guy around also, however, we had the nerve and the spine back then to tell them to "shut up and sit down before we kick your ass" Now we are so afraid of offending anyone that we actually listen to every weirdo with an opinion.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
50 years ago there were nuts like this guy around also, however, we had the nerve and the spine back then to tell them to "shut up and sit down before we kick your ass" Now we are so afraid of offending anyone that we actually listen to every weirdo with an opinion.
[up]….and this is exactly why opinions are just like Hemorrhoids as sooner or later every asshole gets one! (And in Elwood’s case they even smell the same!)

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
found prawns were irritated when their antennae were treated with acetic acid
WRONG. That is an ASSUMPTION on his part, unless he has actually been able to interview the shrimp!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
i just put a dozen and a half blue claws in the freezer yesterday. i could hear them scream! as i closed the freezer door. poor little fellas[cry]

gonna make a nice sauce tho!!!:p;)

Franco..........[smoke]

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Heres some other doozies I have heard of recently:

1. a study on why prisoners try to escape from prison

2. college graduates usually make more money in their lifetime than people who didnt graduate from HS

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
And I've got a huge bag of littlenecks sitting in my fridge waiting for Friday. Sorry for whatever they're gonna feel when I steam them, I actually could care less, but they're sure gonna taste great when I eat them :D

These weirdos need to get a real life !!!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I'm not sure what Elwood's point is from a big picture perspective.

Is he recommending that people stop eating turkey, chicken, pig, cow, etc. too? After all, they apparently feel pain.

What about the complex myriad of predator prey relationships throughout the world (the lion and the gnu, the coyote and the deer, the hawk and the rabbit...) what degree of hand-wringing should concern us since they all feel pain?

Should we also ruminate about death to vegetation? If we rip broccoli from its lifeline in the earth it withers away. It obviously experiences death, what reservoir of empathy should we have for its experience?

God (or Mother Nature for the agnostics and athiests on the forum) developed a system to maintain life on earth - the death of living things. Living things consume other living things in order to survive.

Mr. Elwood would be just as productive if he were to study whether the sun rises in the east and settles in the west. In fact, his workings would be far less damaging for the rest of us if he were to do so. Perhaps someone can find him a grant.

Ant

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
What about the complex myriad of predator prey relationships throughout the world (the lion and the gnu, the coyote and the deer, the hawk and the rabbit...) what degree of hand-wringing should concern us since they all feel pain?
Well now there you go, making sense again. Your not supposed to be rational when you discuss these things, didn't you know? ha ha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts