New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started shotgun hunting 20 years ago, I could remember seeing herds of deer run by..40-50 deer at a time with 6 or 7 bucks in the group. Biggest herd I seen was over 100 deer and I stopped counting. It was in zone 8 near RT46 just past Hacketstown. I think it was Mt Bethel? This was is in 91. I was lucky enough to see "the herds" one more time in a special somerset county hunt this year. Man what a sight to see. Anyone else see the big herds????

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
In Pa, i see herds of 30 - 40 every rifle season. Now with the antler restrictions there as well, you will see upwards of 130 cl [no swearing please] bucks, hardly any spikes or "y" buck.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
During winter bow I saw a herd of around thirty deer come running by my stand. I couldn't imagine seeing a herd of a hundred. I dont think it will ever get back to that since the amount of deer sustaining habitat has shrunk considerably in the past 15 years alone. Also I dont think the state wants to allow the popualtion to get back to those numbers although Id be all for it. Imagine what it must have been like to see the gigantic herds of bison/buffalo on the plains back when the west was being settled. Now that would have been a sight to see.

·
Registered
889 Posts
imb21, what part of Pennsy do you hunt? I hunt near Susquehana and see nothing but dinks! I think it is mostly due to alot of poaching in that area.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I hunt northampton county, easton, PA. I hunt WMA 5C. The reason behind seeing big herds for me is cause of all the development, so some of the small pieces of land i hunt, have concentrated amount of deer, and alot of the property surrounding it is private with NO HUNTING what so ever. So i am fortunate to see these large herds and big bucks. If you take a look at my pics, all 4 of those deer where taken within 10 miles of each other. And i have one more to add from this past bow season.

B

·
0 Posts
Well I can remember the HERDS of years past, I would see every time hunting 25 plus deer per day, maybe as much as 40 or 50 on a given day. The most I saw in one herd was well of 100, once in WANTAGE, and again in STILLWATER. This past season during the Muzzleloader season I saw 40 deer in one herd.

B

·
0 Posts
I agree we will never see the BIG herds, the state will not allow it, but we all need to perserve what we have for our kids and the future, so with that STOP TAKING SO MANY ANTERLESS DEER, take 1 or 2 per year, allow the rest to walk

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
BTW... speaking of Stillwater... the NJ Nature Conservancy wants a group of responsible hunters (not individuals) to manage their deer herd. I already requested an application and information... and let the proper individuals at UBNJ know too.

Basically, its Deer zone 5 - Stillwater Twp (Sussex) and Hardwick Twp (Warren).... all F&G rules and regs apply. Also, you gotta whack a crap load of does before taking a buck, help with trail maintenance, invasive species removal, and wildlife observation.

Long story, short: if UBNJ does not want to do it... I might have to read the application/info... find some "good/responsible" guys... and go meet with their representative.

And... of course... display some of my charm. :D

·
11,226 Posts
I still see pretty big herds. I see them in the neighborhoods at night in everyones yards! We still have plenty of deer in NJ! We just have less places to hunt them and they have more places to go where we can't hunt! That is by far the biggest problem here!

B

·
0 Posts
why ask UBNJ to do it? What if someone isn't a member, then they can't hunt it, just like Princton and some other places they hunted. P [no swearing please] the wealth around, allow others to do it also

B

·
0 Posts
step on toes? you did by contacting UBNJ, let them do there own homework, when they find places to hunt, do they allow the general public to hunt? NO, they don't members only, and the hunters pay for it, not UBNJ

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I'm a member of UBNJ... but BHC speaks for the people Like a true Hunter. But so now one steps on any ones toes.. Why doesn't BHC do the application then Now Drag can.. let UBNJ know about and JQ public (BHC) know about it. that way it is fair..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
We down here in the south. LOL Hunt the same Nature Conv. land owned by PSE&G. It's locals and a few others and the deer are hunt to hunt because of the marsh. I believe in the working man hunter. Clubs and organization are fine, but to take control of any one thing like land is not right.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
BHC,

The UBNJ hunts are UBNJ member only because, among other things, they setup and monitor the hunts. Plus, as a member you are covered by their insurance.

All bowhunters benefit from the work that UBNJ has done. Bank a doe and youth bow day are the most recent examples. If you bowhunt in NJ and are not a member of UBNJ bow your head in shame.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Ahhhh...I remember the herds, enough said.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts