New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..its funny sometimes you run into hunters and they tell you they have not shot a DEER
in over 5 years or sometimes longer..i understand some guys only hunting big bucks and not taking one for years..but there are some hunters that you run into in the woods and they tell you they have never had a shoot...So is there anyone like that on this site??..WHO HAS THE LONGEST DROUGHT..AND WHY???

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
The longest drought I went thru was the year I dropped BOTH the compound and the shotgun and said "Only trad. till I kill one with my recurve" Good God it was both the best and dumbest thing I could have committed to.
It was 1990 or 91 and I hunted in deer rich DMZ's 8 & 10 Oldwick and Pattenberg/Jutland so I was not lacking in opportunities what I was lacking in was mental focus and some finesse with my chosen tools not to mention a well tuned arrow.
I practiced like hell from March till the season opened and that was no easy feat since it in retrospective was the last time we both were basically free so we spenta whole month fishing in Australia yet I shot my bow almost every day even have pics of me shooting “Judo’s” @ coconuts on the beach for practice .
Any how we got back right in time for the opener of the bowseason the first week of October and I hunted a minimum of 2 days a week before the time change 4 or 5 days a week in the beginning.
It took me until the 2nd week of our 3 week winter bow season (YES 3 weeks because the Federation didn’t want the bowhunters killing all of the shed bucks OH how times have changed!!!) to kill a fat doe and it was the greatest thing ( I HATE to think of the bucks I missed that year).
That doe was as important to me as My 1st.deer 5 point in 72, first bow kill in 74 a 6 point (With a recurve) the first buck I called in by voice and killed (A 6 point in 88?) and the biggest I called in by voice a 10 pointer in 07 and the biggest with a longbow 129” net 134” gross in 03 she was a real land mark for me and I had a hard time believing I really pulled it off since I went from averaging 9 deer a year (the past 6 years )hunting with both the compound and shotgun to hunting for months before a kill.
The really big thing about it was I made that kill with my own hands with a minimum of mechanical advantage and it required from ME a maximum of physical hand / eye coordination/ involvement and mental focus to pull off I did it and was hooked.
Its ok I got better and will be out during 6 day with a shotgun BUT not all of 6 day I have a spot or two where I think I can kill a buck with my recurve so lets see…….and have some fun.

·
Registered
599 Posts
19 now and still waiting for my first, patience and scout work will pay off eventually
Your time will come and when it does it'll be one of the greatest feelings you'll ever experience, after you break the ice it doesn't seem as hard after that. I finally got my 1st deer after 7 years of trying and I haven't gotten skunked in a season since then. Just don't give up keep up the hard work because it will pay off, good luck buddy!

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
19 now and still waiting for my first
Not to be shitty but did you EVER considder that perhaps JUST perhpas your doing something wrong and its time for a change up ?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
not me ;) piney your times coming. get in the car and head north [hihi] more deer here lol

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I shot my 1st deer in 2005 with my compound it was a little button buck I thought was a doe I took me years to do that, Then it took me another 6 years to shoot another deer I shot a doe on Nov 3,2011 then I shot a nice size spike My 1st buck on Nov.12,2011 9 days later. Why did it take me so long to be able to kill a deer? Because I dident know what the hell I was doing. When I first started hunting I never payed attention to the wind or used scent control I would look for deer sign nail up a stand and throw 100 lbs of corn on the ground and hope for the best[lol] I have learned alot over the years and now it is finally paying off. I have had a few people give me a few pointers but for the most part I have taught myself everything I now know about hunting. That is the biggest reason why people dont shoot deer they simply dont have the right strategy to consistantly kill deer.if you know you have deer in the area and for some reason you cant seem to get one you are doing somthing wrong and you have to figure out what it is. when you can do that you will kill deer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
19 years old guys sorry about that...well my spot is good but i just recently got into muzzleloader and am looking into bow...been stuck with the 6 day and maybe one or two permit days...my spot is very good our group has taken a 10,8, and two 7's in the last three years and numerous doe, they just always seem to be running to the other guys

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
OK I am 48, started hunting when I was 12, stopped from 19 till about 10 yrs ago when my son got into it. He pushed me to get the FID, (I moved to NJ from Pa. so I had a hard time with all these laws). So last year I got my first ever doe, still waiting on a buck. Now I am ready, I saw 1 buck earlier this year he jumped the string (someone said thats what it was called) now I want to get one with the bow, but next week all bets are off, going out with muzzlemoader for my first muzzy hunt, bear and deer[wallmad]

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I started hunting when I was 16 didnt get a deer till 18 and it was the only one I got that year. After that I have got a deer every year since, it just took a little learning. But this year I have not seen a deer since sept and I have no clue why. Cameras are not even picking anything up. O well 6 day is almost here Ill get one then I hope.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
ive been lucky to harvest deer pretty much every year in the field at 5 this year and one more ill be done and only waterfowl hunting til the end of the season

·
Banned
528 Posts
i dont get it i sit in a stand and smoke half a pack of cigs and still drop deer on the other hand my daughter has been out over a fifty times with me and has yet tyo have been presented with a single shot...if i dont count the two yearlings she refused to shoot because they were just too small [confusedagain]

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
i didnt kill a deer my first year, and i hunted almost every day. i know lots of guys that haven't killed a deer in many years, but they only get out a couple days a season (maybe 4). i have many spells through the season that i dont even see a deer for a week. if that were my only 4 days, i would be out.

remember, not everyone has a primo piece of property, or can arrange thier schedule to get out before the masses of yahoos trump the public land.
i still hunt almost all public land, but i kill through patience.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i have been lucky enough to get 3 or more deer ever since i was 10 but this year im busy in college and was lucky to score on an 8, but idk if ill have time to get my 3 or more..but hard work certainty does pay off

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I got nothing from ages 10 to 26 (shotgun/6-day only). I was only successful with small game.

Wacked one at age 26 during my first bow season two years ago. Passed a few times last year. Haven't had a good opportunity yet this year.

·
Registered
458 Posts
started deer hunting this year. no luck so far 0 for 18 between archery and firearms. I was in the deer during the end of archery (in PA), now that firearms has rolled around and the orange army stomped through nearly every inch of SGL i have no idea where they are lol. walked 4-5 miles this morning between 6:30 and 10. Didnt as much as spook a deer (that i could tell)

all things come in time i guess

·
Registered
191 Posts
luckily in 18 years hunting and i only have 2 skunked years(knock on wood) my first year and one when i moved, but i did miss twice with the bow that year, i now hunt no gun at all, and after the first one its all recurve. just know what spots produce what times of the season. the biggest mistake i made over the years is moving around too much. now i put up 2 or maybe 3 stands thats it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.