New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas. i shot a few groundhogs last season with the bow. just went out today and bought the H&R .223 single shot. i have the 20ga slug gun already and the guns are cheap enough so i figured i would get a nice rifle and shoot some woodchucks this year. anyone have any property where there are lots of them? our club only has 2 or 3 pieces with nice size fields but there are many houses to watch for with this long range gun...wouldnt want to be dangerous to others.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I shoot a .220 swift with a 50 grain bullet. When close to homes, I shoot my bow or 12ga. Number 4 shot turkey loads kills them out to 50-55 paces. (I have a 68-70 pace 100 yds walk. For those of you who read my post on how to read a map) 60-70 yards. It helps to stalk them. Makes you a better deer hunt. You learn how to move correctly.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I didn't think you could hunt with a rifle in NJ.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Any caliber under 100 grain bullet weight. No stateland. Only private. No problem getting permission. It leads to other things. This is how I get land to trap and rabbit hunt after deer season is over. I personally thing deer season is to long. September-February. That's pretty aggressive.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I heard groundhog back strips (and hind quarters) are tasty. Anyone want to try to meet up? I'll do bow, shotgun, or .22 rim fire.

We have all summer! Know any good places? I guess the WMAs won't be crowded for groundhog.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
LOL.....you guys are too funny.

I actually have hunted them with my bow before, its like combination scouting, hunting.

It is fun, but every chance I get to launch an arrow at the buggers, I feel bad and draw down.

Maybe if I could find somewhere with a ton of them...like at the school I use to work for. Theyd have 15 of em in the field everyday.

I heard they taste like sh-t and that your just supposed to dump em by fox dens and stuff so they can eat them...but maybe the back-straps are tasty? I wouldnt know.

I'd meet up one spring or summer day to walk around and look at groundhogs though!:D

Maybe practice some long range shots, pick up garbage, and find a rodent chewed antler shed while we're out....:)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Oh yeah, your supposed to use broadheads. A friend of mine used to shoot them once in a while, said they are TOUGH lil critters.

Dont expect them to roll over and die.....no, they run off and try to take your arrow with em sometimes.

Of course if you double lung em with a muzzy or thunderhead, I cant picture them going very far!;)

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Actually, I bet I can use a dead groudhog as bait for crows.

I could lay the dead ground hog on his back... set out a couple of crow decoys... start making crow noise... then nail the crows when they come in. [up]

·
Registered
273 Posts
groundhogs make holes which horses and cows step in and break legs...they also like to eat garden vegetables...i LOVE to kill groundhogs...doesn't make me a bad guy ...does it?? dirtfarmer ain't my name for nuthin'..those bastards like tomatoes...grrrrrr

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Does this mean we're gonna invite Bill Murray along to go groundhog hunting?:D

Maybe this year Ill nail one of them some beaches, but in years past, it seemed too easy. Made me feel bad.:eek:

I bet you theyd work for crow bait too....and bear bait. Maybe we could kill all the ground hogs and then feed them to the bears, then the bears wont have to eat horses in Andover. Think the antis would go for that? :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts