New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure we have all had a close call with deer crossing the road in front of our cars. Some luckier than others. Last year I had a real close experience. I was on my way home from work on my motorcycle and was just about to Long Valley on one of the back roads. There is a farm on the left and corn fields to the right. I saw a doe crossing the road in front of me comming out of the corn field. I slowed down to watch because it was right around rut time so I figured she maybe followed. I was right there was a big buck 10 point on her trail. He was just fixed on the doe. By this time I was coasting, I reved the engine so that the buck might change direction away form me. Instead he came right at me, I turned to the left and gunned it. I braced for the broad side hit but I must have just been lucky. The outside of his right antler brushed my lower back, I don't know how he missed me. If I had someone on the back of the bike they would have been impaled and thrown from the bike. About 20 feet from that incident I look to my left and there was a 6 pointer heading from the farm down to the road. I took off and went around the corner. I pulled over for a few minutes to catch my breath and composure. That is the closest I've ever come to being hit. Now going thru that farm field I spend all the time looking left and right.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Years ago I had one brush the side of my pick up. I could see where he was cause the dirt was wiped off.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i had one hit me in long valley. i was going towards long valley on 517 and i had a doe run out and hit the side of my jeep. i was watching another doe running parallel with me. i never saw the other doe standing behind bushes in some ladies driveway. doe walked right out as i was passing. all i saw was deer doing a flip in the air from my reaeview mirror. doe got hurt and ran off. never saw it again.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i knew a guy who hit one on rt80 while he was on his harley. he hit it around allamuchy with a passenger on back doing around 65 or so. he got pretty hurt and really banged up the bike. lucky to be alive. he got better and fixed the bike back up.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
I have killed three with the car. Two in Mendham, one in Randolph. My wife got one two! One ran into me in Jockey hollow at 2:30 in the afternoon and gave me the don't know whether to sh...t or go blind look before it got got sucked up in the front wheel well- yuck. One ran into my driver side door, reared up like Hi O' Silver, and fell dead across a guys driveway on Sussex Turnpike. I bought two new grilles, about $1500 each. I have thinned out the does in Randolph but have had several near hits.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
The outside of his right antler brushed my lower back, I don't know how he missed me. If I had someone on the back of the bike they would have been impaled and thrown from the bike.
Pretty scary stuff.

Almost got run over by a bison, hooked by a wounded widebeest in Africa, and run out of a field by a big beefmaster bull.

Saw a herd of 15 deer cross in front of me last winter - that was close, good thing it was on a quiet road.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I only had one close call and never hit the deer, my ex on the other hand, had a bear, and several deer hit her vehicle when I was living up in Vernon. I was coming back from the range with the kids, and was looking sideways at the kids and a buck in velvet came out of nowhere, and ran right across the street in front of the Suburban, I don't know how I didn't hit him, he was literaly inches from the front bumper. The ex was on 638 in Highland Lakes and saw 5 bears crossing the road, so she slowed down, and one ran right into the side of the jeep, put a good dent in the front quarter panel, and kept going. Another time, she was stopped at the bottom of Drew Mountain rd, a doe tried to cross the street, slipped on the ice, and slid under the Surburban, kicking the undercarriage trying to escape. Another time she saw several does crossing at the top of Drew Mountain rd. so she stops, and the last one charges out full blast and runs right into the side of the Suburban, putting a big dent into the drivers side passenger door.
Garry

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I had a doe come out in front of the car one morning in upstate NY, she reared up, and her face hit the Antenna....can't get closer then that.

Once on a deer drive in south jersey, had a small doe run right past me at arms length. Scared the crap outta me.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Two Buddies and I are driving thru Porcupine Provincial Forest in Northen Saskatchewan at 1130 pm on a Saturday nite headed for Saskatoon to take a Sunday morning flight back home. The rental truck an GMC Envoy is loaded to the max, and bamm we hit a huge doe directly between the headlights, destroys the front end and radiator is shot. We are in a dead area far from everything, no cell phone reception.
well after a good half hour laugh we break out the hunting suits cover up and we fall asleep awaiting another vehicle. at 0230 am RCMP raps on the window and they drive us to the nearest town. we obviously missed that flight.

Thank God for rental insurance...

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
hit one back in the 80's. broke a head light, the doe did'nt make it. she went down on the side of the road and some guy came by and put his antlerless tag on her. i was glad she did'nt rot away on the side of the road.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Luckily, the only close call I've ever really had was 2 years ago while I was riding my motorcycle, with G/F on the back, in the Watchung Reservation at dusk. I was coming up this hill at a pretty good pace with a hard left hander coming up. Just as I am about 1/3 way through the turn I see 2 does. One was just about done crossing the road going from my lane to other, with the other one right at the center of the road. I adjusted my line to go a little wider and never backed off the throttle.

Needless to say my G/F, who's a little on the nervous side, was flipping out and screaming through her helmet to slow down. I was laughing because I was in such a zone that it didn't even faze me.

David

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Had a little one run into the side of my Ninja MC, luckily I was able to slow down to about 30mph and keep the bike up. It still did $8oo damage to the plastic on the bike. [sad]The little sh*t ran off like it wasn't even hurt.

Last year I had a button buck run into the side of my Jeep at about 4am on the way to the deer club. It was still alive when I walked back to it, so I popped in the head with a .40cal. rd. from my off duty gun,and tossed it into the back of the jeep. Turns out it was the only deer we got that day :D

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
A few real close calls.One this past Oct. on the NYS thruway at 70 MPH. I don't know how I avoided this doe. It was standing broadside in the lane and I didn't see it till I ws about 100 ft away.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I think my family has hit 5 deer with the car. One was in Mendham and the others were in Long Valley. # of them died. Hit one with the expedition but the car was built ford tough!! the deer died but the truck was fine. No damage whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Luckily, the only close call I've ever really had was 2 years ago while I was riding my motorcycle, with G/F on the back, in the Watchung Reservation at dusk
I too almost broadsided one in the reservation 2 months after I got my Harley. Have since put one of those deer whistles on the front end. Not sure if it really works or if I've just been luck but have not had any close calls on the bike since then.

·
Non Typical
2,265 Posts
Many years ago when I was on a volunteer fire department, we were responding to a call late at night in the fall. My friend Mike was driving and I was in the passenger side and could see a deering running toward the road. We slowed way down and it keep coming. It ended up hitting the front fender, bounced off and died. No damage to the truck and really never felt it hit, but it was a big truck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just 2 weeks ago i was coming home from work back on stockton's college campus where i go to school. It was christmas break so no one was around and it was about 4:30 pm. I drove past a fiels full of deer and stopped to take a look to see if any bucks were out there. As soon as i stopped a big 6 point with som of the longest tines ive ever seen ran out right in front of me. Would have hit him if i hadnt stopped. Afer watching him i kept going and about 50yds down the road i see a doe on the side about ti run. I come to a stop again as she bolts in front of me along with 4 more does and an impressive 9 pointer. The last doe was running as if it was hurt prolly from being hit before. About another 75 yds up the road i come to another small field with 8 does feeding to my right. I look to my left and theres another 6 pointerabout to cross to feed with the does. Luckily he ran back to the woodsline and stopped right next to a spike with one antler. That was an eventful ride home. Also saw a small 8 point a little farther down the road that same drive. If you can tell by the story there is no hunting allowed anywhere in this area but there needs to be.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts