New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. How many of you guys that do not use commercial products or (yes I'm going to say it) Ozonics got busted because deer "smelled" you? I don't use either and I can't remember the last time this happened to me. I've been busted because a deer saw me move or made a noise but not solely from scent. So if you were as quiet as a mouse and still as a statue, did you get busted?

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
I've wondered about this. Does anyone know if there has been a non-sponsored study done to see if any of these products actually work?

Growing up in the country, it never seemed to me that deer flee from you just because they smell you. It seems to me to be a solution to a problem that doesnt (or just barely does) exist.

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
How many of you guys that do not use commercial products or (yes I'm going to say it) Ozonics got busted because deer "smelled" you? I don't use either and I can't remember the last time this happened to me. I've been busted because a deer saw me move or made a noise but not solely from scent.
Why bring up Ozonics[confused]

I have does walking into my scent and they don't even care .Can you believe I didn't even have Ozonics??
Please prove that Ozonics is bull so you can back up your opinion, have you ever tested it? If so please explain how it did not work?. Also, can you prove that all these does walk pass you all the time and never smell you[confused] Maybe your does lost all there sense of smell, just saying[rofl]

Seems when something is succesful, people will hate[rofl]

SS!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I use some scent control(carbon suit, spray, washing detergent, etc) and have had deer down wind of me with no problems. Today I had a spike directly under my stand. Climbing out I realized I had stepped in dog crap. Didn't bother him or the 3 other bucks I saw that morning. However, a doe came in a last light at 40 yards, saw me reach for my binocs and never came closer.I think movement and unusual noise give you away more easily than scent.

·
Banned
336 Posts
Who cares about these products play the wind and hunt and you will kill deer trust me. There is no product out there that will replace hunting wind direction. If you bought a product you will tell yourself it works and if you believe it God bless you. I hunt nothing but the wind and have killed a lot of deer over 140 but not in NJ.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why bring up Ozonics[confused]

Please prove that Ozonics is bull so you can back up your opinion, have you ever tested it? If so please explain how it did not work?. Also, can you prove that all these does walk pass you all the time and never smell you[confused] Maybe your does lost all there sense of smell, just saying[rofl]

Seems when something is succesful, people will hate[rofl]

SS!
I mentioned it because it is a commercially sold product that is supposed to prevent you from spooking deer. I only want people that do not use anything.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Just curious. How many of you guys that do not use commercial products or (yes I'm going to say it) Ozonics got busted because deer "smelled" you? I don't use either and I can't remember the last time this happened to me. I've been busted because a deer saw me move or made a noise but not solely from scent. So if you were as quiet as a mouse and still as a statue, did you get busted?
Nope not yet, only when I moved, or when i tried to stalk the big 8 I am after in the bean field and he saw me draw... Man they are hard to kill when you are on the ground with them! Well with a bow that is.

I got busted many times because of movements. [confusedagain]

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everyone on here has been busted at some point whether it's walking in or out or in a tree. If they say they haven't just don't know they have or they are full of crap.
Yes, you don't know what you can't see. It's just that commercials on TV would lead you to believe that if you don't use their products you will be spooking deer into the next county. I'm trying to determine if it's as prevalent as they make you think. It's has not been my experience. Have I been busted? Sure. A couple of times in 40 years.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ it's the ones that you don't know that busted you that you wish didn't. Your in their playground on their terms. Majority of big deer don't go running off stomping or snorting they slip off as quiet as possible or they don't move at all and wait for the danger to pass.
How do you know that if you never saw them?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.