·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that Kurt?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I would have had I known it was happening. I must say as great an organization the UBNJ is I am a little disappointed in the as UBNJ's communication of organized hunts. I would try this year but it is my understanding that those that participated last year will get first chance this year, so I am not too hopefull.

How did you make out last year? I have seen some real dandy bucks while driving thru the Duke Estate.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Nope Andy. (They do kind of look the same.) :D

Hopefully UBNJ will get a bow-only Duke hunt this year to "manage" the herd. We'll see.

As soon as I get the "okay" I will post stuff up on the UBNJ website.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Alot of people felt they didn't get a fair chance to participate in that hunt, but in UBNJs defense they only had like 7 days to put that hunt together and for the limitted amount of time they did a great job and it was a huge success.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
It was 9 days. Plus, all kinds of "politics" and peace making.

Also, you had to have a NJ Firearms ID card and p [no swearing please] a gun proficiency test.

I got a call from Spoto to participate because I was busting my butt hunting Mtn. Lakes for UBNJ. This was before I became the webmaster and Morris county rep.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know about it until I was on my way back from Illinois, I had to be there the next day,no time to even site my gun in to qualify,but I got lucky. They had no time at all to inform people. But if you went on the website then you would have seen the application, it was up for a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Its harder than you think to manage a hunt. You have to please the customer/township/owners... and the hunters. All one has to do is to try to keep things fair for everyone... and obey the wishes of the customer/township/owners. Balance. None work out perfectly the way you want them too.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I am sorry, I didn't mean to change this thread to one bashing the UBNJ's handling of organized hunts. I am sure that coordinating an organized hunt is very difficult and the UBNJ has done a bang-up job just getting us into towns and areas not open to hunting before. I am looking forward to participating this year if I have the time.

Dragthor - The UBNJs website is very nice good job. I especially like the political action feature. Makes contacting our legislators very easy. Keep up the good work.

·
3,413 Posts
I must say as great an organization the UBNJ is I am a little disappointed in the as UBNJ's communication of organized hunts.
The Duke Hunt was on the web site for less than a day before they called us to remove it. It was a word of mouth deal after that because Duke's didn't want negative attention.

I've participated in the Princeton Hunt for the last 2 years. It's tough hunting. Once the foiliage is go so are the deer. Got lucky enough to whack a doe the first day I hunted there last season.

There are more hunts in the works, the problem is that you can't advertise what hasn't been approved yet. We can't even get applications out for Princeton because the Town Council hasn't voted on the hunt continuing yet.

Just keep watching the UBNJ web site, Kris will get the applications and info up as soon as he gets it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yep, I happened to catch the post on the UBNJ website and applied right away. Like Bacs said, it was up for less than a day. I then got a call on a Thursday night, to take the proficiency test two days later on Saturday morning. I had no time to get out and shoot my shotgun to make sure it was on, so I was basically going in blind, with my fingers crossed. Luckily, I was on!:D This whole hunt was put together in like a weeks time after getting the OK. The UBNJ councilmen who made this hunt a reality did an awesome job. Thank You! I just hope we can bow hunt it this upcoming season.[up]

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
I was there just about everyday....It was a great hunt. It did happen very fast but there was reasons for it.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
I was in R across the road...It was a small patch of woods in the middle of the field. I got the chance to shoot at 175yds..[up]

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I saw an amazing pic on another site with guys posing with about 25 bucks and numerous does. I think JJoe put it up and it would be cool to see again. I used to hunt in neaer DUkes off Amwell Road and always saw HERDS of deer in that place.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts