New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year was my first year hunting. I hunted Wawayanda with no luck. Ive been thinking about giving Whittingham WMA a shot this year due to the fact that I can hunt Sundays there but no Sunday hunting at Wawayanda. Any pointers or advice on this location or any other recomendations of Sunday hunting locations, not limited to Zone 5 willing to travel. I am just anxious to get a deer this year.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive just got into hunting. No one in my family has hunted so Im kind of teaching myself, learning from people on this site, and talking to people I meet that hunt. Not an easy task.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
yea im with ya buddy i hunted allamuchy with my friends family and they moved to arizona the next its ruff i wasnt about to hunt in bear territory by my self i was 15 at the time still wont go up there by my self so i ended up hunting south and saw alot of deer at allaire only manged to take one and like i said been 6 years since where are u from

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
it took me 3 years to get my first the guy at the test said most guys that teach them selves dont get there first deer till 10 years later so dose that mean i gotta wait to have my deer in four more years on a good note its gunna feel lik my first deer again

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
The short scoop on whittingham-there are deer in there. There are very big deer in there-you will likley never see any big deer in there. Those bucks are smart SOB's and know how to lay low. If you hunt the swamps by the Appelacian Bownmen's barn, you will see some does and a few dinker bucks, but the big bows will only come out to play in mid November during the rut.

Whittingham is a tough spot to hunt because you have to go deep, and you won't be the only one to do so. It gets bow hunted hard-and that will only increase with sunday bow. The trick is to get permission from some of the neighboring landowners to park at their homes and cross their property into the WMA-that will get you very deep very quickly.

As for other spots-try the Paulinskill and Papakating Creek WMA's along 206 and 565. there are good numbers of deer in there, and most of the guys up that way have private land so the public land does not get very heavy traffic.

Good luck[up]

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
papakating is a wma or a land trust piece?
Both-there are actually separate properties. Check the digest for the Paulinskill WMA and see the boundaries-there are actually 3 properties that are WMA's. The NJNLT properties are huntable, but not open for sunday bow

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I hunted Whitingham for years during the Extended bowseason.. There are some good bucks there that come off of Marigleotas (sp)... your better off I think hunting the other side of the WMA the northern rd off of 206 just past the In and Out Deli..Go in a ways and hunt alon his property line close to if not in the swamp... Whne the bird hunters start they push the deer around pretty good in there.

As for not seeing a giant cause they are too smart... if you hunt it right you'll have a chance at seeing them..

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Last year was my first year hunting. I hunted Wawayanda with no luck. Ive been thinking about giving Whittingham WMA a shot this year due to the fact that I can hunt Sundays there but no Sunday hunting at Wawayanda. Any pointers or advice on this location or any other recomendations of Sunday hunting locations, not limited to Zone 5 willing to travel. I am just anxious to get a deer this year.
Come out for a walk in zone 8. Deer a thon!
What is a deer a thon?
A day full of members here, driving deer.
Bring your buckshot.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I live a mile from there and I have two salient points. 1). You could not pay me to deer hunt there. 2) I would give up deer hunting if that was my only option.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.