New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out for a little bird hunting today. The birds were everywhere!! they were grouping up in 2s and 3s Attila did'nt know which bird to point! he did point one that I got but the others were runners. must've seen 10-15 birds by the ranger station. only one sat for a point Attila can't seem to lock down the runners yet.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
My Abigail Locked two down on Saturday while they were running and I was really pleased to see she was able to figure that out at a young age 19 months. She's starting to really come on for me. She cornered two separate birds 30 yards apart in the thicket and went on point when I got to her the birds saw me a jumped up. The First one I missed and the second I got.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My boy is just 11 months old. he still doesn't think the birds run yet. he finds there scent but only half heartedly tries to find them. If they sit still he finds them and points'em, if they run? he looks confused. I'll work with him on that in the off season. hopefully he figures it out on his own.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
its probably because bearly anybody got any saturday...they released them on the roads for saturday because they couldnt get into the fields due to the snow...

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
My breeder told me to just take her out and let her bump birds. I did just that and she bumped a few birds and now shes getting it and its awsome to see and have the privilege to gun over a point. I guess the more birds we are in the more experiance they get.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Sounds like a good day for a non-stocking day. I want to bring my pup out on a sunday to get her to try to bump some birds.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I have been seeing tons of birds in the Flatbrook Area while deer hunting
Not me.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah man they put out 10,000 less bird this year than last year. I like to go on the non stocking days as there is useally less guys out then. The birds were all in the hedge rows. It was funny we'd work over one row then move on to the next one. The I'd see three or four birds on the hill we just left! it was nuts!! Attila just could not get the scent of these birds on the snow! he did his best. he did point one that held for him and I got it.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Ghostbear, you were up there yesterday?

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nope monday I was there.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Ok, I was just wondering if I may have seen your truck up there. But based on your other posts with the description of your truck I didn't. I did give a card to a girl up there hunting over a yellow lab.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Valentine card I hope
Shh, the wife will see.

NewJerseyhunter.com card.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I guess the more birds we are in the more experiance they get.
Get her as much field time on birds as possible. It will do nothing but make her better. [up]
She'll come into her own at 4-5 yrs of age.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Get her as much field time on birds as possible. It will do nothing but make her better.
Will this work for my 4 month old pup too?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
It will. When my pointer was 4 months old I put out chucker and just let him go. At first he pointed for a few seconds and then flushed them. I introduced him to the gun (using a starter pistol) while he was chasing them. By 6 months I was hunting him and he was steady to flush.

Putting out some bird for him to find will really build his prey drive.

Good Luck

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Will this work for my 4 month old pup too?
I started my 31/2 yr old out on quail when she was 11 weeks old and continued with birds right up to hunting season that year. She was 6 mos. then hunted 4-5 times a week all season.

Exposure to hunting and birds along with training works.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
She isn't to where I would like her yet as I am taking my time. She has yet to be introduced to gun yet. I do want to get her out to chase birds though. Not necessarialy shoot them.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
No, I wouldn't expect her to be where you would want her at 4 mos. but exposure to birds and the field will help her. As long as she "knows" what she is suppose to be doing. If she is getting the scent and locking up, the tracking will come. Although she should be attempting to find what she is smelling even at 4 mos.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.