New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a [no swearing please] bird standing along side the road this morning up at Whittingham WMA. Freaking cars were whizzing by... the bird could care less.

Anyway... the bird was beautiful.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
whittingham is the home of the roadside cockbird....they go to the side of the road later in the day usually...ive seen them sitting in the middle of the road...most of the time when that happens, we stop the car and we flush it towards the hunting area so maybe somebody will have the chance to take it...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
what side of whittingham was it on? by the ranger station (fredon road), wolfs corner, or by the apple orchards?

·
Registered
267 Posts
DT:

Last Saturday my pup and I were hunting Assunpink. Pup was in cover to my left while I walked along a bridle path. Saw movement ahead of me, focused and saw a BIG brightly colored rooster just sauntering down the path like he couldn't care less.

Just as the dog caught scent of him, he must have sensed the dog, because he turned hard right and went into a really thick briar patch in the woods along the trail. It was so thick even the dog couldn't get into it. We walked around it for 10 solid minutes trying to figure out a way in before giving up...

Should have just rushed him myself to make him fly when I first saw him, shot him and let the dog have the retrieve, but this year is all about teaching the pup - oh, well.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
one time, i was just sitting there calling (with the pheasant call) and i hear a cluck. i look up and there was a nice fat rooster about 15 feet above my head...made some noises and off he flew...nailed him..

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
mack... in the back... to the left of a bunch of black cattle.
i hunt near there..thats where i usually see them along the road in groups of 2 for some reason...i hardly ever see a lone pheasant along the road...

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Mack, just after we left when we saw you Saturday at whittingham, there was a rooster standing on the side of the road. We stopped right next to it and watched it for a second then started to drive away, as we started to move another car was coming toward us and saw it. The drive made his little kid chase it into the fields and watch it till he can park the truck and come back with the gun. So we pulled over and watched it all happen. I was hopeing he missed but i only hear one shot, and i think it was a ground shot.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Mack my buddy and I hunted Whittingham today. We were tracking a bunch of birds in the snow. You guys at Whittingham need to learn how to shoot.:D

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Mack my buddy and I hunted Whittingham today. We were tracking a bunch of birds in the snow. You guys at Whittingham need to learn how to shoot.
hey! im a deadeye! mpemt, my bro hunted monday and limited out...
Mack, just after we left when we saw you Saturday at whittingham, there was a rooster standing on the side of the road. We stopped right next to it and watched it for a second then started to drive away, as we started to move another car was coming toward us and saw it. The drive made his little kid chase it into the fields and watch it till he can park the truck and come back with the gun. So we pulled over and watched it all happen. I was hopeing he missed but i only hear one shot, and i think it was a ground shot.
we saw those birds too...we didnt even bother since it was near a house...right after you worked a hedgerow at that spot we flushed up a [no swearing please] bird from the row and my friend got it...then about an hour later, a hen flew up ahead and my dad shot that one..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.