New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on going down to Medford with my Wife and picking up my son(first marriage) and taking them out.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Flatbrook, Walpack, and the Gap.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you see me say hello -- short guy with a dog that looks like a pointer with no tail (actually a Braque du Bourbonnais). I'll probably also have a 10 year-old boy walking along (my oldest)...good hunting!

Tony

·
Registered
625 Posts
jersey i'll be at assunpink late myself not putting up with the crowds
Do you guys actually have any luck hunting in the afternoon? I have always put up with the crowds because I figured I had to to kill a bird.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Chuck:

There are back fields at Assunpink that don't get nearly the pressure that the "main" (i.e., by the F&W office, the shotgun & archery ranges and the lake) fields do -- these are also the places that the pushed birds retreat to...they're there, if you look for them.

Even the front fields will yield birds in the afternoon, if your dog is not afraid (or you, either) to bust a little thicker cover to find them. Most guys seem to want to walk the rows between the soybean and sorghum plants and hope they can kick up a bird without straining anything...

Look at it this way -- if the F&W puts out 530 birds today, do you think 265 guys will limit out tomorrow morning? Probably not, which is why you get 8 guys trying to knock down one pheasant, even if it's running in the grass!

That means the rest of those birds are there somewhere -- just gotta dig 'em out -- that's what the dog's for. Good luck tomorrow.

Tony

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yeah, that's the problem. I have no dog of my own. Sometimes I meet up with friends and their dogs, but usually I rely on other people missing and chasing birds my way.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's why I don't do the morning -- all those guys, all that lead, people shooting birds on the ground -- all too easy for a dog (or a person) to catch some birdshot.

Also, who really wants to have to fight with somebody who shot at the same bird you did from the next row over? I'd rather wait longer knowing I'll have to work a little harder for my birds.

What that's they say -- "if it was easy, they'd just call it killing"...

By the way, I'm keeping it to just me and the dog for now, as this will be his first season and I want to see how he does -- I won't be shooting at any birds he doesn't point, so I don't reward him for the wrong behavior. Once he gets a few hunts under his belt, you're welcome to join us.

Tony

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Sometimes I meet up with friends and their dogs
You've got friends [confused] :D Nah!!!

Chuck,
Hey, why don't you go deer hunting w/me in the AM? I have to leave by 11am. Call me.

David

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I'll be at one gun club in Alpha in the AM and then the other club in Long Valley in the PM.

Flatbrook Tues and Thurs.

Who knows where M, W, F.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
my dog usually finds the birds in the afternoon so let me know if u want to meet up sinse u dont have a dog i'll only charge u a small fee lol

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I am planning an early exit from work[cool] No one knows about it but me[up]

Will be in my stand by 2 PM and try and meet up for round 2 with the 10 pointer I missed on monday:)

·
Registered
625 Posts
By the way, I'm keeping it to just me and the dog for now, as this will be his first season and I want to see how he does -- I won't be shooting at any birds he doesn't point, so I don't reward him for the wrong behavior. Once he gets a few hunts under his belt, you're welcome to join us.
Any time, just let me know.

my dog usually finds the birds in the afternoon so let me know if u want to meet up sinse u dont have a dog i'll only charge u a small fee lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts