New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone knew of a place to buy some birds close to middlesex co? i only know of a place down south jersey, would rather not take that far of a ride

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
J&G Preserve in Mansfield Twp, just outside of Hackettstown. They are in the F&G Digest.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
J&G Preserve in Mansfield Twp, just outside of Hackettstown. They are in the F&G Digest.
I couldn't find them. I think J&G is closest to me. I will be looking for some birds.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
J&G
671 Mt Bethal Rd
Hackettstown NJ

908 637 8754

Nice people and very helpful.

They also have chukars which is what I use for training.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi TJC

I'm just wondering .... why do you use chukars for traning? Easier to handle? Cheaper?

I have a 5 year old lab that has never hunted, want to get him "birdy."

I think I bought birds from that place in Hackettstown many years ago, I thought he stopped selling birds for some reason. Glad to know that he is still open, now that I live in Morris County.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
There is a place in Hillsboro that sells quail and pheasant. They also have another place south of Hillsboro. I think it's called Griggstown Quail Farm. (or something like that)

Ironmine24 - Chucker are cheaper and hold tighter. They also don't fly as far as Pheasant. Put a few out for the lab and lead him into them. I'll bet he catches in real quick.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
im42,
I use quail if I can get them as they don't fly to far and are easy to recatch. But J&G doesn't have quail. So chuks are my next option as they don't fly too far either. Not like pheasants. And they are cheaper.

George still sells to people as long as he has the birds. He has nice, good flying birds.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Thanks, TJC. I was hoping to get the pup up there after she is introduced to the gun.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
after she is introduced to the gun.
How old is she now? She should have been intro to gun at about 6 weeks. Most likely she'll be fine but don't wait. Start her with a blank gun or a .22 pistol with blanks.
Make sure you have her attention before you fire the blank. You don't want to surprise and scare her. [up]

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
you can try with pigeons at first to get the dog into birds...then switch over to game birds...it will save your wallet

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Get your self a pheasant skin from cabelas on a dummy and load it up with pheasant sent and work the dog into the wind to find it. Be down wind don't take the dog with the wind and be disapointed right away if it misses the sent. Try to give the dog every opertunity. I once had a problem with a male out of the litter my female golden gave me. That dog was shy and I broke him with pots and pans indoors with him. Loud noises bang a round him.I broke him of shyness but he hated me for it and he hunted on his own.He was such a pain I retired him to my daughter at three years and said good ridence boy.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I broke him with pots and pans indoors with him. Loud noises bang a round him
I'd hunt on my own too if you went around banging pots and pans around me. :D

All you need to do is get the dog's attention as you walk out with food each night and when it's looking at you, fire the blank behind your back. The dog will not be surprised, will be so wanting the food that there is less of an impact on him/her.
Then start doing the same thing at other times. Get it's attention and then the firing.

It works without scaring the dog or ruining him to noises. Whatever you do, don't listen to anyone who tells you to take it to a trap range on a leash and walk up when they start shooting. If you have a reluctant dog, you will push him over the edge for sure. ;)

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Hard dogs call for hard breaks. You can't put a collar on a dog for gun shy ness.My methoud worked in the house and it softened him up.He never turned out because he was to hard and for the aggrivation he caused me I gave him to my daughter. My wife said give him a chance and work with him more but wouldn't allow a collar on him. His mother was superb and he carried on teribbly when we left with out him up until his mother died.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
TJC,
Your posts on dog breaking are good if not great for the beginner on here. I don't post much about pointing dogs, but I have spent quite a few years around guys who are the pro's. M&M shooting preserve worked there from 1984-1988, plus several other shooting preserves in the Tri-state area. I have 8 beagles and two chocolate labs. All hunt with vigor, control and the one thing you can't train desire. I do have one dog that lacks desire to my taste and is a little shy to the gun. I fire off .22 blanks, then move to the .410 and shoot in the opposite direction from the dog when training. I always let the dog smell the gun. IMHO the worst thing any hunter can do with a dog is hunt it around more then two people until after it's two years of age. The dog gets to confused. Hell, my male chocolate never hunted with anyone, but me until his second season. His first season Oct (ducks) through March (snow geese/preserves) he flushed and retrieved 86 pheasant, 237 ducks, unknown geese(alittle trouble because of size) and quial (which he loves to this day). Time, patience and love/praise is what makes any dog good. With those three things and good breeding greatness can be had. Champion bloodline means squat if you don't have the three keys. My buddy has a dog with absolutely the best paperwork... that dog couldn't hunt for it's food bowl. Never has time for it, but insists on taking it out ducking and is always yelling at him. I told him he should be shot for ruining a dog with such potential. The trainer has to be trained as much if not more then the dog.

Ryan

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
cat,
You are correct in that some dogs just are never going to get it. I wasn't being critical of you, I was just "poking fun". Notice the big smiley.

At least your dog went to a good home and will enjoy life.

I've got a young one right now that is very layed back. Great nose, can track well etc. Just doesn't want to really get into it at times. I've been working with her all season and she is getting better but she will never be as "aggresive" as my 3.5 yr old. But she hunts well enough for me that she'll stay and will hopefully and most likely get better with age, experience and most important exposure to birds. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts