New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to fish for trout this year. Had some success yesterday. i was just wondering about what to look for in the water to find trout. Do they like waterfalls where the water moves slower or faster. Basically what are some signs to look for when scouting spots to fish for trout.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
I have luck around structure as well as pools (shallow or deep)Also at the tail end of a fast moving section right where the water starts to calm is usually a good place to float some bait down.good luck

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Look for deeper slower spots. on faster flowing streams look for areas that start to slow down a little, look for the seams between fast ans slow water. the slower water behind larger rocks and log jams. On wider slower streams look for the real deep pockets or anywhere the water moves a little faster.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I fish the deep holes, so fat the only trout i caught so far this season was caught in a deep hole with a tree i it....... 6 lures are stuck to that tree[wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
On a stream for me, the most successful spots are under edges of banks, especially if they have grass or tree roots over them. It gives them cover and food travels in the currents is trapped along the bank for easy picking.
Also, learn to "read" the stream. Trout like to put themselves near or in currents where food is brought to them so they don't have to chase. Take a small bobber tied to the end of a line (w/no hook) and just toss it into the water. Watch where it goes and you have a better idea of how the current carries insects down the stream. Then follow what Ghostbear said! Good luck![up]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts