New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I faxed this letter to my local chief of police Thursday after 10 weeks of runaround on changing an address on an ID card. If I don't have an answer by election day I'm sending a registered letter to the mayor with a copy of the fax, including the date/time stamp from the fax.

Dear Chief;

I am writing to see if you can help me ascertain the
status of my application for transfer of a New Jersey
Firearms ID card.

Ten weeks ago I dropped off my Firearms ID card and
the appropriate paperwork given to me by the Fanwood
Police Dept. so that I could transfer the card to
reflect my current address here in town.

As a bit of background, the card was originally issued
circa 1989 here in Fanwood, and when I moved to Scotch
Plains a few years back I had the card reissued by the
Scotch Plains Police Dept. Now that I've bought a home
in town, I have attempted to move the card again.

I have been calling police headquarters and checking
about once a week since the third week after I dropped
off the paperwork. (It took Scotch Plains about that
long to issue a card when I lived there.)

I have been told "you're dealing with the state
police, it can take forever", and I've also been told
just this past week "we sent it over to Scotch Plains
on Sept. 20th, and we don't have it back yet."

This concerns me greatly. State law (N.J. S
2C:58-3(f)) provides a 30 day period for issuance of
the card. If the last response I received is correct,
it would appear that no processing was even begun on
the the paperwork for over 30 days.

Normally I'd be understanding of the fact that we're a
small town, and I'd wait. (Frankly, I'd also rather
see the police out patrolling than sitting in an
office doing paperwork.) However, we're now into
November, which is hunting season, and I hunt.

While the laws in New Jersey do provide that I don't
need a Firearms ID card while going hunting, my
experience has been that many law enforcement officers
(including my own brother) don't know that, or will
take the more cautious approach and detain someone
they encounter with a gun and no FID. Further, if I
need the services of a gunsmith, or wish to take
advantage of a seasonal sale, I can't do so without my
card.

I hope you can appreciate the position I'm in now that
we're into November; if you can give me any more
definitive of an answer on the status of my card, I'd
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for listening!

Very truly yours,

Robert J. Magnan

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The ridiculous part of the story is you already have a card, whats the big deal, verify you live there, call nics to make sure your not an axe murder ;) and retype the address.

There is an association fighting the townships as we speak. I think its posted on another message.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
by the way don't believe their excuses, there are towns that get them out to people in 3 weeks.

And if it takes so long for the state police to research why does my phone NICS check only take 5 min to make sure I'm still not a criminal?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
And if it takes so long for the state police to research why does my phone NICS check only take 5 min to make sure I'm still not a criminal
Can't check fingerprints over the phone.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they didnt take fingerprints with the paperwork this time either...its just an address change.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I know, they are not required. I don't think it should be taking that long, unless they can't find your old records.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
We usually have an address change done in about a week to 10 days. A little longer if the original agency doesn't get us the paperwork.

No reason for it to take 10 weeks. [down]

Original applications can sometimes take longer than we would like for a number of reasons. But address change, no way.

B

·
0 Posts
Listen guys it's all a game from the State & local police, they don't want us to have firearms. stand up for rights[up]

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Our rights are boing infringed with the mere concept of a FID card.

Do I need a license to go to the church of my choice? To practic the right of free speech? Why do I need a permit or license for only the 2nd Amendment??

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent that fax on Thursday afternoon. Tonight I got home from work and there was a message on my answering machine....come and get your card! :D

Know the law, make a (POLITE but firm) inquiry...and there ya go.[up]

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I had trouble in my town when I did an address change also. They wouldn't let me go to the old town to get my records and hand carry them to the new PD.
I think it took them about 6 weeks. Most of that time was spent sitting on the chief's desk waiting his signature and waiting for the records. I also had to go through an interview with an officer. He had the attitude that he was interviewing a crime suspect. All this with a municipal fire captain as a reference.

When I finally got the card and used it for the purchase I found out that the card number had a typo. I was still able to make the purchase, but it was delayed. To their credit my local PD fixed that in a timely fashion. Especially since the typo was carried over from the previous town.

I am thinking about moving soon. When I do I plan on checking the policy of the town PD on FID applications. I am thinking about moving to Chatham, New Providence, Berkley Heights, or Florham Park. Anyone have experience with those towns?

My advice to you would have been not to send that letter at all. The best option albiet expensive would have been to get a lawyer like Evan Nappen or Gary Needleman to contact your PD. The clout an attorney has in such a situation is what you need. If you belong to ANJRPC Needleman and a few others are on retainer for an initial consultation. If nothing else they could give you advice on how to proceed.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Offline Posts: 764
by the way don't believe their excuses, there are towns that get them out to people in 3 weeks.

And if it takes so long for the state police to research why does my phone NICS check only take 5 min to make sure I'm still not a criminal?
One of the most annoying things about the FID is that it is totally redundant with the NICS.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
This entire process is just a total bunch of BS, contrived by a group of fearful treehuggers. In the two times I had any dealings with PD trying to get my FID, the 1st being the actual receipt of it, and the 2nd being a change of address, both took over 3 months to obtain. Unfortunately I didn't know what the law is concerning it.

Thanks to you guys, if I should ever move again, I now know my rights.

David

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Offline Posts: 531
This entire process is just a total bunch of BS, contrived by a group of fearful treehuggers. In the two times I had any dealings with PD trying to get my FID, the 1st being the actual receipt of it, and the 2nd being a change of address, both took over 3 months to obtain. Unfortunately I didn't know what the law is concerning it.

Thanks to you guys, if I should ever move again, I now know my rights.

David
I don't know about tree huggers as dopey as they are they didn't exist, at least not wide spread, yet when the FID law went into effect in 1966.

It was more a typical liberal knee jerk reaction to the Kennedy assination. In fact that's when the whole concept of gun control came into being. Ironically, the second Kennedy assination , the King assination, the Lennon (Lenin) assination and the attempt on Reagan's life all came after the libs enacted gun control laws.

·
Registered
991 Posts
When I had to re-do my card for a new address, I got a call from my local PD the very next day and they said to come on in and pick up your new FID card. Thanks Chief!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
My wife just got her FID and two handgun permits. Took less than 3 weeks here in our town.

·
Registered
47 Posts
it took me 6 months to get my Firearms ID card thats when i live in South Bound Brook. it took me 3 months to change my address on my Firearms ID card when i moved to Bridgewater. They take there time, remember its you want something from them not the other way around. it dont matter its your right or not. you can only be polite and call in and inquiry about it. or you can take them to court its going to cost you more money and time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts