New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope everyone is out hunting. I don't see any new posts except mine.

David

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I spent my day listening to a co-worker pontificate about how great he is. I think it is time to look for a new job as this guy is so full of himself it is unbearable. I think as I get older I am becoming less and less tolerant of ignorant people.

All I want is a few good days with my old trusty bow in the woods. Is that too much to ask?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Spent the morning in the woods being chased by bucks! I mean this morning had to be one of the craziest days Ive ever spent in the woods.

The rest of the day I hung out with the computer nerd that started this silly website.:p:D

If you wanna hear about my morning.....just ask, but be prepared....its gonna be a LONG story!:D

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Well Matty, you better start tying because i think we are all ready to hear about it. And dont tell us you slapped doe estrous on ur A** and ran around the woods because that is just wrong!!!;):D hahahahahaha

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Ok, here goes.

I woke up late, around 5am. I laid there thinking...man I dont even feel like going out.

As I laid there in my bed I figured, well, I wake up earlier than this for work, I might as well get up and go enjoy myself.

skip ahead a little....

I arrive at the parking area. Its starting to get light. Its already legal shooting time. I check the wind direction and figure its not worth the mile walk to my "good spot" so I take my climber and head to an area of the woods that I havent hunted yet this year. As Im walking through the open field, I catch a whiff of doe estrous. I swear to you. I couldnt smell dog sh-t on a tar roof in 100 degree heat, so I was really surprised to catch a whiff of doe estrous. I continue down the field and enter an old logging trail. I get about 100 yards down the trail and I hear this loud "crack" to my left. Then I hear it again, and again, and I soon realize Im hearing a very loud buck fight. I kneel down, nock an arrow and strap on my release aid. I lay my quiver on the ground and creep forward into the thicket. Suddenly I see two BEAUTIFUL bucks battling it out! I mean KILLING each other. Ive never rattled so loud in my life! I wanted so bad to get a shot, but there was just no way, too thick, and moving targets. I let out a deep grunt, but they could care less. Suddenly I catch movement out of the corner of my eye. Its a doe and she almost runs me over. Close on her tail is a really nice chocolate colored eight pointer. Hes {clicking/grunting} every step. I draw back and Im "bleating" with my mouth as loud as I can. He wont stop, he stays on her rear and disappears. He was EIGHT YARDS away at the furthest! I just couldnt get a good shot off. OH man....

Unbelievably these two bucks are still locked and killing each other. The one is clearly winning, and the other looks like he just wants to get away now. Finally he does break away, but gets a good goring to the rear by the larger buck. The larger buck didnt chase him, but rather started walking off in the direction of the doe and eight point. I figure I might as well continue down the trail and try to cut them off. As Im making my way down the trail a battered spike jumps onto the trail about 10 yards ahead of me. Hes trotting right at me. Suddenly he realizes that big "stump" wasnt there before and he stops. Im certainly not gonna shoot him, but I dont want to spook him either. I stand motionless with my eyes squinted. He now starts advancing towards me looking kind of aggressive. Ears laid back, stiff legged gait. I want no part of him, so I just move a little bit to let him know I mean business. He doesnt run but trots into the thick stuff off the trail. Its then that I realize another shooter buck is staring at me from 15 yards. Hes in the thicker stuff and he saw me move. Hes no young dumby, he snorts and they both take off. (He looked to be a nice ten point). Well, now Im just thinking to myself...."Why couldnt I get here earlier?"

I can still see most of the deer a short distance into the thicket so I decide to just grunt and crash into there. It kind of works, but there is no way to draw now. They realize this "buck" is running on two legs and they all take off.

I hook up my stand and climb the tree. Thinking to myself, Im not gonna see anything else now.

About an hour passes and Im seriously considering leaving. I figured I screwed up the whole hunt. Suddenly I spot legs. Its the broken up spike that wanted to fight me (hes got a 8-10" spike on one side, and a broken 3" spike on the other) He walks by at about 30 yards. Then I spot more legs, its a nice six pointer. I hadnt seen him before, but its possible he was there. He follows the spike. Then I see legs and a HUGE body. I cant be sure but it looked like the winner of the fight. He was BIG...not the biggest rack Ive ever seen, but what a body. Of course he picks a thicker trail thats about 45 yards away, and goes in the same direction the other two went. A few minutes later a doe comes trotting out of where they all went. Around 10, it started to get really windy, so I climbed down. Rather than walk straight out though, I figured Id take a walk around. As I near the end of the trail I spot ANOTHER buck, that I didnt see earlier in the day. Its a nice eight and hes heading up the hill away from me. I tried to call to him, but it was so windy he couldnt hear it.

I left the woods after I watched him disappear up over a ridge. I mean, Ive had exciting days before, but today I felt like I was a part of the herd!!! [up][up] It was great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts