New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trout opener is a few weeks away... I was wondering where you guys are planning on going. I hate to be elbow to elbow with guys so I normally take the road less traveled... a secluded stretch of the paulinskill... sometimes I get skunked as a result, but atleast I'm not getting hung up on other peoples lines and getting aggrivated.

Where are you guys headed?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i normally start off at the south branch head to the musky, but i'm throwing a surprise party for my wife on that day. this will be my first miss of opening day ever. this is going to score points with the old lady huh...[cool]

·
11,226 Posts
I love the paulinskill. I go out to stillwater when I go! If the trout action is slow you can always put on a jig and hook some smallies! I've caught Largemouth, Smallmouth, Pikerel, trout, perch, catfish and others out of the paulinskill....

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim, the place I go is in or near stillwater... it's a little ways off of 94 on some back roads north of blairstown (not sure what township that is). Like I said, the place we go is pretty secluded. Most years, we don't see anybody else all day... and most years, we limit by 10am. The past few years have been slow though.

I always head there with a buddy of mine. We've missed maybe three opening days in the last 15 years. He just moved out of state so I'm goin' it alone this year. Maybe I'll try a new opening day spot... not sure yet.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I'm not big on trout fishing. But I noticed last year opening day there was less then 5 or 6 people ever fishing the "hot spots" along the musky. ( stephenburg, kings hwy, penwell, change water ) . A friend called fish & Game last year to ask why there are so few fishermen? He was told that lics. were way down less than 250,000 sold state wide. With a large % in the south. They blame it on rec. sports takeing the kids away from fishing Sats.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
BFB or maybe round valley(no crowd). Hard to miss seeing the first guy that falls into the stream.:D

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I usually go to the Toms River in Jackson. I try to get away from all the people by going WAY down stream. I went by the river today and its looking good. Should be a fun day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will most likely hop from the musky to the pohatcong, to paulinskill and the pequest. BUT I will not be going out on opening day. Can't deal with all the kids and yahoos out there. I will go (and catch more than my limit) on my days off (Tuesdays and Wednesdays). Thats the nice part of working for the State.... odd days off when everyone else is working. The only people I share the streams with are the unemployed and the older folk :) Tight lines!

Scott

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I wil probally be fishing Picatinny They stock just an absolute ton of fish and nice size fish to boot.Its actually too easy at times and you can only keep 3 at a time.I've caught my limit in less than 5 minutes on more than 1 occassion.:D

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Drag, you have to either be military,retired military,or a Goverment employee.Its really nice its never elbow to elbow like most of the streams in Jersey.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I will be working midnights so I may try Whites Pond before sleeping. Last year I only got three. My dad and I used to catch out limits within a have hour, but recently it has slowed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The last two years I've taken my daughter to the Spring Lake fishing tournament. Some of the trout that the fishing clubs stock are huge! It's very crowded in the morning, but clears out in the afternoon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts