New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont forget the NJ seal needs to stay with your rack/meat
This quote is from Luknikk's post on looking at " his meat " :p

It does bring up an interesting question. If you put your meat in your freezer ( now that's a chilling thought ), then take the head and hide to the taxidermist where does the metal check-in tag stay ?
I asked a F&G officer this one time, and he gave me that " deer in the headlights look " .
Another one told me to send the tag with the head, and label " every " package of meat with the number from the tag, in permanent marker.
Another F&G officer said to keep the tag with the meat and tape a piece of paper to the horns with the tag # on it.
And the classic response was to write the # on the antlers with a permanent marker [confused]

Yea, I'll write all over the trophy that that's going on my wall !
NOT !

What I have done, is to let the Taxidermist record the number in his reciept book, then the number can be written on the back of the mount base when the mount is done.

Has anyone else heard and " opinions " on this from our " trained " officials ?

B

·
0 Posts
I put my tag in the garbage, always did, always will, unless I take the head to the taxidermist

B

·
0 Posts
Yea, I'll write all over the trophy that that's going on my wall !
I agree with you on your answer of NOT !!!!! and I will not write the tag # on each package of deer meat

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I even had one F&G guy tell me that every package of meat needed to be labeled if you had more than one deer in the freezer [confused]
That's even if you had all the tags with the meat.

Yep, place the left hand over the right a jerk vigorously :p:p:p

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must admit that I did see a Maine Bear guide label every package of Bear meat with the hunters Lic. number before it left camp.

B

·
0 Posts
F&G can KISS MY A** with some of there BS rules....Should we also put our names on the waist band of our underwear so we know who owns them?

B

·
0 Posts
I must admit that I did see a Maine Bear guide label every package of Bear meat with the hunters Lic. number before it left camp.
maybe he did that, so it wouldn't get mixed up with other hunters bears

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I was told the tag stays with the meat and a written tag with all info goes to taxadermist

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
While I don't exactly know what is the right thing to do, I always keep my tags. They are sort of like a keepsake to remind me of the deer that I've taken.

David

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Write the tag number on the meat. Most butchers require the tag and will give it back with the meat. Taxidermists will need to record the number. Write the number on the back of the mount.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
who really cares??? my butcher gives me back my tag and I usually throw it into a draw in my hunting room.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
who really cares???
Scenario:

Knock Knock

Who's there ?

F&G

We have a report from a neighbor ( an anti ) that you harvested a deer and they were offended by the sight of a dead animal in your yard. Can we see the tag, labeled meat, and antlers ?

Hunter : well, a, ah, the tag is , ah. a, well, and the labeeled meat ? Ah, a, well duh

In this State anything is possible,

If I learned only one thing in 31 yrs. of Law Enforcement it's
CYA

COVER YOUR A$$

·
Registered
546 Posts
Look at all the pretty colors. LOL

Didn't Roy P get fined a couple of years ago for not having all the metal tags while he was butchering the deer? Or was it for not having tag numbers on all the antlers hanging on the shed?

One or the other...I remember his telling that story when we dropped off a deer for butchering.

They fined him quite a bit and almost shut him down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts