New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i usually go to the gap and hunt along the corn fields. i havent gotten one but ive had turkeys call back! the week before opening day last fall, we scouted and saw about a dozen where we hunt. the next week, they disappeared! oh, well! thats hunting! where do you guys hunt?

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your lucky jim!!! wish i could hunt for turkey in my yard! how many did ya get last year?

·
11,226 Posts
This past Spring was my first ever turkey hunt (Dragthor dragged me out there!)...I blew it on a nice tom (he saw me before I saw him) but I did call him in and I am now totally hooked on Spring turkey hunting.... I've never done Fall turkey hunting so this will be a first for me if I go....

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds good...ive seen many but not in shooting range. im excited to go this spring!!!

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HAS ANYONE TURKEY HUNTED IN THE WHITTINGHAM AREA??? SINCE MY CAMPING TRIP GOT CANCELLED, WE ARE GONNA TURKEY HUNT WHITTINGHAM DURING SPRING TURKEY SEASON. IVE GOT ALL THE GEAR FOR IT, INCLUDING CALLS AND DECOYS, BUT I HAVE LITTLE EXPERIENCE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS ON CALLING THAT WILL DRIVE THEM WILD DURING THE SPRING SEASON???

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I hunt a few place by Whittingham. A bunch of guys are parked around it turkey season. The BIGGEST problem with trying to hunt any WMA is the preseason hunters scouting & calling. They educate the toms with bad & to much calling. That's why you'll rarely get a tom to reply to calling come season.
(just my opinion)

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im also thinking about going to old mine road. does anyone know if thats a good area?

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what are some good spots in sussex for turkey in the spring? (i apologize for all the questions. im a newbie).

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
i hunt in wanaque i had nine longbeards p [no swearing please] me friday morning when i was in my tree stand.....

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Same goes for the Gap to many people practice calling there. The toms are burnt out & hush mouthed. But they are there!! Just have to locate them & move with them. Put them to bed the night before you hunt & you'll have your tom. The yotes play hell on the flocks up there.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I missed a turkey in the Watergap right near the trailer park a few years ago. It was when the fall season was during the pheasant season. My cousin and I were driving through the gap and spotted a flock of turkeys. There were four toms.
I jumped into the wood and sat a called.
My cousin was at the truck getting ready for pheasant across the street. My must have spooked and the whole flock ran towards me. I waited for the tom's but they never came. All I had were hens. The last one came past so I shot and missed. Went to follow up and both shells dropped out the bottom of my gun.
But Mack, they are in the gap.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
White Lake WMA, Puaninskill WMA looks good too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts