New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished out the long season on Feb. 12th with a walk aroud the property in Kingwood. I did not want to shoot a deer so I just walked and checked things out. Had a few does 50 yds in fromt of me. I just watched them move along. It was good year for me. Seen 2 GOOD bucks that I think made it. Looking forward to next season...

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
hey there jjoe. im ending up the season this weekend with the ol recurve bow. i shot a pretty nice 7 ptr this year and also a 6 ptr that i did not find until about a month later when the undergrowth died. i was pissed when i found it..another hunter said he came across it and told me where about and right away i knew that was where i was looking for him last. half my arrow was still in the ribcage. i had no blood trail tho..i was looking where i saw him last. sad to say,but it happens. where about in zone 11 do you hunt? what club, if any, are you a part of?

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On Thatcher road by some of your clubs property...Belong to Tri shot ans also hunt the private land next to it...

We did ok this year...How bout barbertown?

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i got a few really nice bucks on that trail cam over there across thatcher rd in the fields. seen a 9pt and a 8pt with really long browtines and a bent G2 all summer long and never seen em duting the season. I did end up with a decent 7 pt i shot off of 519 tho. any bucks harvested over by you?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
im in kingwood too..right on 519 ..not a very good year for me...2 does...1 the first day out and 1 the last day out...oh well....maybe if the club didnt shoot EVERYTHING that moved there would be a few more decent deer on our property...but its a place to hunt

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
604? hmmm not quite sure where about that is. you ever hear of barbertown sportsmans club? we are located right near the "Forge and Anvil" diner. lease property all through that area.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
sure i know it...big "B" on your posters? well im a few miles past the forge and anvil...how did you guys do this year? how much property do you guys have?

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
yup, big red B

we did pretty good. got about 10-15 bucks , seen some monsters right before the season started. dissapeared quickly tho.

we lease about 600-650 i believe, divided upon 12 different farms. dues are 850 / yr and initiation is 400. got a clubhouse with about 25 bunks to sleep at, running water, electricity, shower, kitchen appliences, pot belly stove in the fireplace, rifle pit, 2 trap houses, archery range with wooden ladderstands to practice. a really lovely place..i spend every weekend there from friday night to sunday mornings during the hunting seasons.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
sounds pretty awesome...if you guys are ever taking on new members please let me know...like i said...im not into shooting everything that moves but i have to stay there for now...

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i believe we are taking members now...you can feel free to show up at any of our monthly meetings and fill out an application/join if you want. Next meeting is the 2nd sunday in march at 9AM. email me for directions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Outlaw - Dawgs is hunting on one of those properties on Rte. 519 before Rte. 604 The Corner Cafe (?) or Cathy's Corner Cafe(?) - It's most likely near the cemetary just before Rte. 604 on Rte. 519 before the road gets curvy as it heads to the Delaware River.- Rte. 604 is where we make the left off of Rte. 519 to go to my other hunting club in Sergentsville. Also, the covered bridge (only one in NJ on the map) is on Rte. 604 halfway between Rte. 519 and my other club.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Dawgs - Do you hunt with a guy named Simon and park near a huge (couple of hundred years old) Oak tree on the right side of Rte. 519 when heading towards Rte. 604? I've been hunting that area for the past 18+ years and pretty much recognize most of the areas (and trucks, and a few faces) where guys hunting park at various hunting "sites" on Rte. 519. Pretty much has been the same guys hunting those same spots for the past 18+ years with very few changes other than the loss of land for a few, and a few Farmland Preservation signs going up on some of the farms.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
you got it...thats the property i hunt...its good property but im not real happy with the way the club is run.....we did real good on the property last year but this year not that well....im sure its because of the lack of restraint when it comes to passing up deer...but who am i...im no biologist...just a guy who would like to see guys be a little more picky when it comes to shooting....most of the guys feel the same way too but no one wants to burn any bridges...how many members are in your club?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You're property always looked good, and I know over the years that there were some nice deer taken out of there.

I'm a meat hunter, myself, and only take what I need for myself and to assure that all of my club members have at least one deer in their freezer - I too would like to see the guys let some of the smaller bucks (4s - 6s) and more mature does go buy to insure a healthy herd, and produce some bigger racks....Most of my guys abide by that rule.

Do you know Joe Schaadt or his cousin, Charlie "aka Nutsy" ? I'm Joe's nephew by marriage.

I believe that Joe and Nutsy are both friends with Simon - I've heard his name mentioned often over the years.

Well, to answer your question, in Barbertown Sportmens Club I think the number is close to 36 members.

Where I've hunted in Sergeantsville, I have 6 members - Once in a while I bring over some of the Barbertown members for goose hunting.

Used to have over 160 acres there, and had 10 - 12 members, but the farmer sold off one portion to a developer who built a house, then sold 1/2 of the farm (across the road) to the state - The state sold it under farmland preservation to some real estate guy and he leases it to a farmer. Three guys now hunt that property, but they don't know how to hunt it and have ahad little success. We're trying to get back the huntable portion of the land.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
im not familiar with those guys you mentioned....theres no doubt that there are big deer on our property...i have pictures from the game cam to prove it...but with all the pressure and all the shooting, you will never see those deer during hunting hours...i passed up a few small bucks this year...but i ask myself why? someone else in the club is going to shoot him anyway...but at least i know im trying to do my part...we have something like 35 members on i think 400 acres...which sounds ok but alot of this acreage are fields...so during the 6 day....you have like 3 guys hunting each field...thats crazy!!!! and what if you were on the back end of our land and you wanted to get out? or if you shot a deer early....youde have to wait for everyone in front of you to get out.......do you know how much you guys pay on an average for you property? if i told you what we pay on our 150 acre piece you would laugh...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I know that your property goes for a pretty penny... I've heard of properties in our area going for as much as $50.00/acre - Just goes to show you how bad the private hunting land situation is in our area and in NJ in general.

I'm not sure what the average is for what Barbertown pays for each property that they have, but I know I'm paying top dollar for my Sergeantsville property...Considering that most of the property is fields, with us hunting the perimeter and a small patch of swamp and woods, it averages out to about $35.00/acre approx. - 6 guys shotgun hunting the property (if all were to show up on the same day, which rarely happens) pretty much maxs out the property.

The farmer who owns the land has always turned away other offers because he know what he's getting with the group of us that is hunting there, and there have never been any problems, other than a few squabbles with neighboring hunters and snow mobilers, but they were quickly resolved amongst ourselves without the farmer's involvement. Plus the guy is already a multi millionaire, and uses our "token" (that token hurts my pocket for my portion each year)to buy his Grandchildren extra Christmas presents.

Only 4 of the 6 of us bow hunt, and only 2 of us are there on weekends during bow season, so that keeps the pressure off the deer, so we can be somewhat selective in the deer we shoot. I control the stand placement and most hunts on the property to allow everyone a fair chance to shoot a deer and enjoy a safe and fun hunt. My guys respect the fact that I frequently bait my stand (most others in the club don't), and that if I've targeted a nice buck visiting my bait pile during bow or gun season, they back off until I get the job done. Otherwise we call each other each week to see who's going up and whcih stands will be available. Except for maybe 15 days in the past 18+ years I have hunted the same treestand each and every year during bow and shotgun season.

Also, except for a few individual hunters on the farms and properties adjacent to us, and one or two clubs about 1/2 mile in any direction, the deer aren't pressured too much.

Unfortunately, there are a few farmer's who are still shooting deer for crop damage control during the summer months. The deer that survive are truly the fittest of the herd...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anybody hunt over in the Spring Hill Road area?I heard an awful lot of shots during a drive across the Copper River on the last morning of either-sex shotgun.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts