New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
I saw loads last night. I got out the last hour of light on a new piece and there had to be 15 does and about 2 or 3 bucks hanging out. All out of range for the bow, but great to see. It depends on where your hunting and if it has been pressured or not. Also food is a big player this late in the season. Good luck[up]

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where i hunt in 27 it has been getting hit hard. It used to be good all year.I also hunt in 29 and seen 13 deer out of range don't you know.Now the last 3 times there nothing. New Year day back in 27 because most guys wives will make them stay home.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Has anyone been seeing any deer.I haven't seen any the last 6 times out.
I havent seen anything at all!!
Believe me guys they are there....

I have been hunting the same area all season. In the beginning of the bow season I was seeing 10-15 deer a day with sightings spread all throughout the day; including numerous bucks.

Now, in the four weeks, am luck to see 2-3 deer a day, (within the first or last half hour of shooting light); all of which have been does.

So...I am sure you guys are thinking, "What is his point, that is exactly what we said"...

My point is...I also have trail cams out...and guess what?..Every single night starting in the last 10 minutes of shooting light I am getting pictures of 10-15 deer a night; including numerous bucks...In fact, I have many pictures within the last week of virtually every buck I had seen through the year with the exception of three yearlings and two mature bucks, (one of which I only once at night on my trail cam anyways).

So...what I am trying to say is...I can virtually guarantee you that there are still plenty of deer where you are hunting, you are likely just not seeing them because they are extremely nocturnal after the past month of gun seasons.

JC

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Thataboy Jeff[up] Good luck with them[up]

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I have been skunked on my last three outings. I just moved a stand this afternoon to a spot I have left alone all season. It has thick laurel and I am set up on the top of a small hollow overlooking the swamp. I have had some success here in January.

Of course I spooked a deer bedded under the tree where I set the stand. I will be hunting this spot on Tuesday morning.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I've only seen one in the last three times out in 22

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
They are herded up because there is safety in numbers and they have changed their patterns with less cover around and are doing all their moving at night. Best to hunt this time of year starting from 2-3PM until dusk and position yourself somewhere near where thick cover transitions to less dense cover towards fields and feeding areas.

One buddy of mine saw 13 deer one night all around him right before sunset. He could not move without being detected and there were no shooters. I hunted the same area on subsequent afternoons and saw nothing. They are there, but not consistently.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts