New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well boys and girls, this morning I had the honor of hunting with a true New Jersey turkey hunting legend, You guessed it, Gobblergetter himself! We were joined by GG"s friend and cameraman Tom hoping to have a great turkey hunting adventure.
I met them at 0400 where you can imagine, I was blindfolded for the drive to one of GG's "honey holes" LOL! We arrived at a spot where GG had done his homework last night and had roosted what he thought were two gobblers. After quickly setting up GG's Double Bull 360 degree blind we were all set when the birds started gobbling their fool heads off. None of us had heard that much gobbling on the roost in a long time. We were set up against the wood line between two fields that were seperated by a hedge row. GG figured no matter which side the birds pitched down to, we would be in the right spot to take them on either side. We soon realized that there were not two, but three gobblers screaming their heads off. They pitched down very early and hit the field on the right of us. Once they were on the ground, GG spun his magic with the calls and had the toms heading in our direction gobbling all the way. At some point the birds cut through the hedge row and now they were coming fast up the left field along the hedge row. When I tell you these gobblers were coming fast, I kid you not! Suddenly we spotted all three coming at our deeks as fast as they could walk. We were delighted to see they were all long beards!
In addition to walking as fast as they could, they were all bunched together making a shot impossible without hitting all three at once. GG told Tom if they got some space between them to take the leads bird when ever he could. As luck would have it they did just that with one bird taking the lead just enough for Tom to get a clear shot. He let his shotgun roar rolling the first bird, The other two instantly were beating feet in the opposite direction as GG tried to get a bead on one of them as soon as he could get one clear of the other. Running as fast as their feet would carry them, GG let one ride but missed only by an inch or two to the right side of the tom's head. Wow talk about excitement. Well as you can guess, Tom and I rode GG like a pony for a little while before letting him off the hook due to a difficult running shot. After high fives we did our cut-a-ways for the video which we we happy to see came out great! The we took some photos (see attached) What a great morning and what an honor hunting with "the man". GG, and Tom thank you for letting this "outsider" into your turkey hunting world. This was a morning I will not soon forget, With any luck, my video footage may be good enough for Tom's next volume of "Turkey Tails" Hope everyone enjoys the photos![up][up][up]:D

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Sounds like an amazing morning guys, glad you got Tom's swinger on video. It's great when they are hammering like that 1st thing in the morning isn't it? I wish I could say that I would have loved to have been with you guys, but me and Billyboy had an amazing morning of our own. Look out for the post! Congratulations to all of you on a great hunting experience! [up][up] :D

·
Premium Member
12,369 Posts
awesome! sounds like one heck of a time! [up]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.