New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 3 month old German shirthaired pointer yesterday. When do you guys recommend its ok to use a electronic collar for training purposes?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
When training my pup, I went without a collar for the almost two hunting seasons. My dog started to regress and wouldn't retrieve to hand, also would chase flyaways for miles. I had to go back to basics on long lead and it was a lot of work. I thine introduced the collar, and she has been a different dog since. I don't use it for punishment, I just use it to get her attention so she looks for the next command. It's a form of a leash tug for me, it has done wonders.

I guess my point is I wish I would have started her on a collar at a much younger age. On my next dog, she we be collar trained much earlier.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
While every dog is different, my dog was 11 months old before I even put it on. I also clicker trained and personally had good results with obedience in the home which translated to field. Maybe being too semantic, but I use a collar for reinforcement, not training. What I mean is that I try to only use it as a last resort. Mine has a rattle effect which I use as a warning that a stimulus is coming if she does not comply. Although she wears the collar in the field, I have rarely if ever had to use the stim feature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree every dog is different, I was in similar situation last year and chose not to use a collar. It worked out great for me...
I got a pair of eyecam xtreme video glasses for xmas and shot some video of my dog in action check out my youtube channel superquaildog.
Grew up hunting over germans they are great dogs good luck..

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Gunnar was 2 years before he seen an e-collar, but that's because I didn't have one. :)

An e-collar needs to be introduced gently. All training as a pup should be done with a check cord. When he gets it...in the back yard, front yard, and a different setting, then he is ready for an e-collar.

Read the instructions, and get help before just slapping it on their neck/belly. I've AWESOME results (for one Gunnar retrieving skills), and I've seen a good dogs get wrecked by a trainer who thinks they know how to use an e-collar.

IMO...age doesn't have anything to with it. If they are being trained and understand the command in different settings with a check cord, then they are old enough for an e-collar.

Once again...introduce GENTLY!

I use a Tri-tronics Pro100 and Gunnar only needs a mild '2' and a strong '2' when I trashbroke him.

There have been so many times I wanted to light him up like a night-light, but if he isn't corrected with a little reminder, then I haven't trained him well enough...and back on the check cord he goes.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Most people do not train with an e collar. They reenforce something that has already been taught. Usually after six months to reenfoce basic commands. Never use around game. Plenty of good videos out.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
How do you use an E coller for positive reinforcement?
Forgive me but 30 years ago I only used them to end deer chaseing.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
They reenforce something that has already been taught. Usually after six months to reenfoce basic commands. Never use around game.
Pretty much.[up]

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
When do you guys recommend its ok to use a electronic collar for training purposes?
I put an e-collar on the dog every time we're doing any training. Last dog I got was already a year old and for the first few month I never even turned the collar on, just put it on the dog when we did anyting involving birds or a fun activity. You can turn it on when YOU as the trainer have learned how to use it properly. You don't want to eff up a good dog because you never educated yourself on how to use the collar correctly.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Never use around game.
Hmmm...why? Afraid of correcting a dog on game, he will associate the correction with finding game? If so, you are using the collar incorrectly!

I use the e-collar during hunting, he jumps he gets corrected. He give chase, he gets corrected. He re-positions himself without command, he gets corrected. Everything he has been trained to do and if he doesn't he gets corrected. If it happens too many times in a row, time to stop hunting, and get the check cord and start training again.

The e-collar is for correction on commands that he already knows.

Example:
You and your dog are hunting. He is out 30 yards in a knee high grass field. he jumps a bedded deer and takes off like a bolt of lightening after it. You have an e-collar in your hand with your fingers on the trigger.

What is your first move?

Light him up?
Run after him while the fingers are pressing the trigger?

Mine is to yell a command that he knows, like...WHOA! If no response, then the e-collar comes into play as a correction to command that was given. And the correction needs to happen within a couple seconds for the dog to relate the shock is for NOT following the command Whoa.

This is to re-enforce that an e-collar can be beneficial for the handler to have an extended hand to correct a dog that KNOWS a command. If the correction is used and he has no idea what the correction was for, then it must be for the game. I better not find game again.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Forgive me but 30 years ago I only used them to end deer chaseing.
Trashbreaking. Yes, same concept. You yelled, "Whoa!" when the dog chased a deer, and then gave him a correction to re-enforce the command.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
As for a positive correction...

On some models, i.e. my Tri-tronics Pro100. There is a beep sound that I can radio to him.

Some folk use the beep, as a reward. Just like rewarding a dog with a treat. Or a click. Same concept.

I happen to train, Gunnar, that the beep means "stop and look for me". He stops, looks for me, and that allows me to communicate with him on his next move. Maybe I changed directions, maybe I see an area I would like him to search, or I don't want to yell across a field to get his attention, especially during hunting season.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
3 months. My dog is never off the leash with out it on her.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts