New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went out last year and looked for sheds in the woods for a week and did not find any sheds but i found bones and and two carcases with racks on them not sure if im going out to late maybe people found them before me or mice and sqiure chewed them up already i went out in march last year do to all the snow we had i might try the first few weeks of feb any buddy have any luck or any tactics for finding them

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Start any time after Jan.15 as you won't find may sheding till that time.(They do just not many)
I have found right at Feb.14/15 to be the date many bucks shed so I hit it the hardest from that time toMar 1 but keep looking as time permits till green up.
Since most sheds will be found in sancuary areas I tend to go out on Sundays untill gunseason is over.

Look around late season feeding areas and the best spots are bedding areas that get lots of mid day sun as bucks tend to get up and shake and stretch after or during a nap and many thed at that time often when you finds a shed in or next to a bucks bed you will find the other one on a trail within 75 yards of the 1st. one as it may have been hanging or even got kicked off by him.
It takes weeks for treerats to eat an antler.
Look both near and far and when you get done with an area go back and look over the same areas in reverse you will be surprised how many you walk past but seen when you are coming from a differant angle.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Look by downed trees too. They'll knock em off on the branches and bed down in them.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Now. With no snow on the ground you should have it easy going. Anytime from mid January until mid spring when things begin to green up and you have limited sight distance. Best when sun is bright to shine on those horns. It's a fun time. Combination of shed hunting, exercise, hiking and scouting all wrapped into one.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
shed hunt when the season is over
If you want to do it for fun or practice go to no hunting areas,parks preserves and look.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Do it when youi feel like it!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Went out today in Rockland County,NY to a property I hunt. Found 5 sheds. One was last year's, then a little dinker,a forkhorn and a nice 5 pt with good potential and a 4 pt from a good buck. With the bad acorn crop, early rut and warm temps, they seem to be dropping earlier. Normally I don't really find them in quantity till February 10th and on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.