New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When are people going to stop asking where can they hunt? Every other post is asking the same question. It's time to GO OUT & SCOUT THE WMA on your own. That's what hunting is about spending time in the woods NOT THE COMPUTER!
"Hey stand here by this tree." Is that what you want to hear?
Someone I gave info to( from this site) has been complaining to other that I sent him to a bad spot. Because ( This is good) He couldn't see the deer coming in. They caught him off guard both times he hunted there. So that's for me NO MORE FIELD REPORTS

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Then that person should be know the sport is hunting, not shooting. I may complain about not seeing anything and getting frustrated but I am learning a lot this year. I know that if I hunted the property I normally hunt, I would be seeing deer and maybe even get a shot. I am taking the information I get from the guys I meet here and learning from them. Unfortunately I can't take them to my property so I go to theirs. It isn't there fault I don't see anything. They know the area, I don't. Not there fault it's mine. But I am learning things.
Point being. Don't let that guy get under your skin. He is looking for the easy way out. I have been talking to you about duck hunting, not because I want a good spot. I want to learn a different aspect of our sport. I for one learn better for experience, not books. I thank you for your willingness to help other hunters.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Bob, you got a lot of nerve sending me into that spot where that monster buck lived, and not telling me he might actually be looking for hunters!:D:D:D

I find that funny. I hope you know I appreciated all the info you gave me about Black River. You were more than helpful. I wont be hunting it this year, but I will scout it for next year, and have it as an alternate spot close to home. Thanks to you, I will be able to narrow down the scouting efforts. This year Im just sticking to the spots I know, and learning a couple on the fly as I hunt with a few of the guys from here.

Thanks for the help Bob....If others dont appreciate it, thats their problem. Dont let it bother you!;)

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Bob see its your fault. You should have chained the deer to a tree and held his hand while walking him to the exact location. Ya know Bob you're a real jerk. Unhelpful sob.:D

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Don't take it personally. This site is a huge source of info for beginner hunters and veterans alike. We can all learn from each other.
Keep up the good work and info.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jrhunt;
I agree with you! But come on they know where the WMA's are & have the equipment. Why ask for help if they have not even walked the place. That's just lazy. Don't you think?

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
BobR (Don't you think?)

I agree with you, but some guys and gals work like 60 hour weeks and don't have as much time to scout. The info they get here helps them narrow down their choices so they don't scout unproductive areas.
If you give a guy info and he complains ,then don't help that person anymore.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I can kinda see both sides of the coin.

1) Last year when I started, I had no idea how valuable scouting was and thought that deer just randomly walked around wooded areas. So i thought veteran hunters just knew where the deer where from the years of being in the woods.

Bottom line, whether we like it or not, hunting is a dying sport. It can be seen by the numbers of decline in permit or license sales nationwide. Participation in sports usually always begins when you are young, ask sport fans why they like a team, or why they participate and I'll bet 95% of them say because my dad, uncle etc.. when I was younger.

The same holds true to hunting, its a sport. Thats why the state holds special youth days, and the nra spends alot of money in their youth programs.

The problem is circular, the future of the sport depends on the youth participation, and hunting is unlike any other sport that killing becomes an aspect of it. So unless a youngsters parents / guardians participate its unlikely a kid is going to. In order to perpetuate the future, you must increase the current participation rate as well.

With adult license sales declining, the exposure rate that kids are exposed to the hunting sports declines.

As a beginning adult hunter, one way to get me sucked into the sport to perpetuate and passs it on to my kids, would be to find game immediately and get me addicted. I know its not the essence of the sport, but thats the only way you are going to lure in new adults, and potentially the future (youth) of the sport.

So on that note, if I was a veteran hunter and a person asked me for a hunting spot, I'd take them out one weekend and bring them to harvest a deer.

After that I'd explain why I knew the deer were there, and let the addiction take its toll on them!! :)

2) If I did give them a spot and they complained about seeing deer, then maybe they aren't ready for the sport or just don't know any better.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When scouting how will they learn what a nonproductive area if they only sent to productive areas ?

Yes, it's a dying sport but the person who doesn't want to put the effort out to locate & set up. Will never stay with the sport. Because they didn't have enough time to start with.
No one in my family hunted when I started in 1969. That was back when there was a 3 week bow season, 6 day buck week & 1 doe day by permit. No area was overly productive. You go the entire bow season & see 5 deer.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Thats why you put them in a area that they can scout. I have a spot that BHC was going to hunt, BUt I would still want him to scout it... Just like when I go up to zone4/zone1(bear) I well scout it even though BHC has a spot for me... Even if you tell someone about a spot, let them know they still have to scout it. I like to show spots this way they can scout it and if I see something they missed I can point it out.

Hunters Helping Hunters..... What a Wonderful Thing

B

·
0 Posts
I hate it when you put them in a spot, there is deer sign around, you have taken deer from this area in the past, but on this 1st day they hunt it they see no deer, and say either "YOU PUT MY IN A SHITTY SPORT", "YOU DON'T KNOW NOTHING" or "THIS PLACE SUCKS I DIDN'T SEE A THING"

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
What I intended to say, is give the new guys a little break, between learning about their equipment, learning how to shoot, and understanding the importance of scouting it can be overwhelming, take them out and let them harvest a deer and then show them why.

If they don't want to scout after that, then they don't belong in the sport. Its like they put in the hunter education books, there are stages of hunting, from shooters, to sportsmen... finally making it to the sportsmen stage can take years.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I hate it when you put them in a spot, there is deer sign around, you have taken deer from this area in the past, but on this 1st day they hunt it they see no deer, and say either "YOU PUT MY IN A SHITTY SPORT", "YOU DON'T KNOW NOTHING" or "THIS PLACE SUCKS I DIDN'T SEE A THING"
Now those people don't belong in the sport

·
Registered
201 Posts
The wisdon is just flying around in here, all very good points, Mysticguido.. you have got this all figured out...great gameplan! You should write a book! :p Seriously, almost wanted to write it down..I do agree with most all of what was said by everyone.. I don't usually have a bunch of time but that is why I am doing research now for next season...most of the questions I ask are very general..like hunter population vs deer population. Hope all you guys keep giving out the great information

·
Registered
546 Posts
Maybe not knowing HOW to scout out an area is part of the problem. This is all something I still need to learn in great depth and the takes time too.

As said before, not everyone has a lot of spare time or wants to use personal or vacation time to "look for the clues" of deer presence. There are looking to just get out there and make a kill.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. You can lead a hunter to a perfect area, but you can't guarantee a kill. Don't let it bother you that he's complaining to you because he missed. You offered help, he took it and didn't get the kill. Not your fault!

Happy Hunting!!!

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
As said before, not everyone has a lot of spare time or wants to use personal or vacation time to "look for the clues" of deer presence. There are looking to just get out there and make a kill.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. You can lead a hunter to a perfect area, but you can't guarantee a kill. Don't let it bother you that he's complaining to you because he missed. You offered help, he took it and didn't get the kill. Not your fault!
Very Good point Deerseason Widow, The ones that have time in hunting should try and help others that don't. I like to take others out and see what they know and help them with stuff they don't know.

Like:
Rubs, just after a nice snow fall, best time to check rub-lines.. You can tell how long ago a rub was refreshened/days old after snow falls.

Trax, which way the deer are going. after snow falls / rains.

Dropings, are they dry,wet, steaming ( Cold weather ),drops/clumps...ect:

plants, what is being eaten, whats not....

trails, the big give away... How worn down are they.

and the number 1 deer sign........ Seeing the deer it's self.....

I don't feel thats it's my fault if someone doesn't see a deer in a spot that I picked out for them, Because any day anything can happen. Hunting is about peace in the woods.... Getting back to Nature...Reliving the past....Not killing animals... Yesterday was great for me... I saw 2 baby raccons eating from the corn I put out.... That was way kooler then shooting a deer to me... Nature is so Great...Live it...Love it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts