New Jersey Hunters banner

Whats your most memorable hunt for 2005 season?

4K views 46 replies 35 participants last post by  Dsaint004 
G
#1 ·
I know we still have hunting left to do, but with 2005 soon to be history, what would be your most memorable hunt for the 2005 season?

For me, it would be the opener of the Muzzleloader season and getting my 9 pointer, taking me 2-1/2 hours to get him out of woods. Just wish buckfever & brownstones where there to enjoy in the excitment. Honorable mention would be this web site, meeting some of you in person, making new friends and hunting partners: Dsaint, GunnyFern, TITUS, POPS, Drag, IMB, Mysticguido, Jrhunt, buckrun, and I know I forgot a few of you SORRY, but you know who you are.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL AND YOUR FAMILIES[up]

#5 ·
The best hunt was the evening my 12 year old son joined me in our two man treestand that I built on our hickory/oak ridge. He spotted a big fat doe that we watched for twenty minutes before it made it made it's way to within 12 yards where I let loose an arrow and it met it's demise and will be on the grill very soon. That was exciting- Dad, I see one he whispered! I'll never top that one. As for the large bucks we saw on other days- see you next year I hope! I wish every dad could experience that feeling and the excitement we shared that night.

#7 ·
well i should say opening day when i got that nine pointer, but i have to say when i hunted the snow storm at pequest with JerseyJim, jrhunt and ghostbear. ghostbear got a doe. it was some hard hunting in the deep snow but it was awesome day with good friends.[up]

#8 ·
Missing a nice 10pt buck at first light with my bow during the Rut. I saw a 400lb bear a few days later in the same spot.

#10 ·
My first doe found by my dog.Went and got her and turned her loose and she found it in 5 minutes. Ran from the shot area right to the deer.Shot deer at just before dark had no blood trail I could see. Had the tuff of hair at the impact site and knew it was a good hit. High hit going down arrow still in deer. I wanted that deer for my buck tag in earn a buck. The memory was in the ability of the dog.

#13 ·
well i should say opening day when i got that nine pointer, but i have to say when i hunted the snow storm at pequest with JerseyJim, jrhunt and ghostbear. ghostbear got a doe. it was some hard hunting in the deep snow but it was awesome day with good friends
That was by far my favorite hunt of the season! Being out in that snow storm with a great bunch of guy's is exactly what hunting is about to me! A great memory I will carry for the rest of my life!!!:)[up]

#14 ·
My 10 point Illinois buck with 10 minutes of shooting light left on the last evening of my hunt.
My hardest hunt was at Pequest with jerseyJim. We pushed everything thicket we could find.I totally ripped apart my camo pants.I got cut up and bruised. It was more of a workout than a hunt. We saw alot of deer but didn't have any shot opportunities. Had fun though!!

#16 ·
Second memory was shot two does one night with in 2 minutes of each other. They came in togather toward the bait and the first one stoped at 25 yd. looked around and turned quatering away I arrowed that one. The other jumped and ran 15 yd behind the stand and I drew down on that one and spinned it. Shoot instinctively and its that quick.Now I had the second tag for the extended season sowed up I thought.I got down out of the tree to get the second deer and found out that it was a button buck.I was disapponted and not happy.Went to get the first deer and oh no another button.All I could think of is these are next years bucks and the giys in the club are going to hammer me for this move.They were larger deer and I took a pair of brothers inside of minutes.This was not a good move I admit.To some landowners all deer are deer and they have to die they feel.[down]

#17 ·
My hunt would have to be when my father, brother,nephew (8 years old) and I went pheasant hunting on a preserve in October. Even though my nephew is only 8, We let him shoot a bird with his 410. The bird got up and he nailed it with the first shot. Good thing too, the 410 is a single shot. His first bird of many more I hope. We know it was illegal but he has been shooting his gun for 2 years and he knows how to handle it.

#19 ·
Third memorial was when I experianced the dogs first real point because up until that time I had some reservations.Even with all the work I had done with her she would sent point things but not actually a bird until I shot the first bird over her my self.The dog would lift its tail and stand stanch and look for the bird. But when she bonified locked up with the tail up and her leg up and not a musssel moving. I shot the bird and got on my knees and prayed while holding the dog. That moment still brings tears to my eays.The breeder told me it was going to be like that when I went down to get her from training she wouldn't do for him.My biggest fear was she wasn't going to hunt.Was I mistaken big time.

#20 ·
http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forum.php?a=vtopic&t=3503&p=2

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forum.php?a=vtopic&t=3531&p=2

Look at my posts in these two threads. My plan in the second post worked and I got my 152# 7 pointer two weeks later on 11/12. I just love it when a plan comes together.

I wasn't in my stand 5 minutes when he showed up at 2pm following the doe in heat scent trail I put out. I also had one of those BuckBombs out, but he never got down wind of it to smell it. At least not until he was already hit by my arrow.

#21 ·
I saw 5 bucks together on the Thursday of doe day. One was traveling alone and the other four were in two groups of two. There were 4 spikes and a 1 horner. They all came together in the field and kind of got to know each other. There was a lot of posturing and a couple of them locked up for a pushing match. The whole thing went on for almost a 1/2 hour.

They all ended up walking by my stand single file. It was one of the best things I've seen in the woods in awhile.

#22 ·
My 30 minute hunt.

I wanted to take 2 days off for early ML, but had a Monday AM presentation and a meeting (all day!) scheduled by my boss for Tuesday, so I RAN out of the office @ 12:30 Monday.

I got home, stripped, changed, raced out to the woods. Headed in about 2:20. At 2:50 I shot a doe on my way in to where I was going to set up. By 3:50 I was back at the road, deer in the trunk, gear in the car, and heading to the check station.

I had her hanging in the garage before sunset.

#24 ·
Do I have to pick JUST ONE?

I had a lot of memorable hunts this year, so many in fact, it would be impossible to pick one.

I spent a lot of time in the woods with new friends, and thats the best part of this season. :):):)

#26 ·
So far I've had a great season... I killed a 140 cl [no swearing please] whitetail, alot of fun training my pup, but by far was the first deer hunt my son ever experienced was definetly the best!!! Lifetime memories!!!!

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forum.php?a=vtopic&t=5140

I'd take that doe and the experience over this buck any day of the week!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.