New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20141011_194732.jpg
it's a w. Richards 12 gauge side by side. Just looking for a ball park idea. Operates and in excellent condition.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Nice! Have the same gun. Inherited from.my grandfather. Not sure what it's worth. It lives in my safe.

·
Registered
713 Posts
w Richards not to be confused with Westly Richards ,probably of a Belgium guild gun.
"Operates" is different from safe to shoot. Excellent condition .....it's not
Lots of other stuff to be taken into consideration ,I would be generous and put it around 300.00 without checking it out I make a wall hanger out of it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a Richards that was given to me from my Grandfather. Looks similar to your picture. I was told it was not worth anything.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Hey man every gun is valuable in this state.take it to one if the states moronic buy backs.they'll give you top dollar.what do they care its only our tax dollars.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have shot hammer guns and they separate you from the crowd. Have it checked out by a qualified gunsmith and it just might open a whole new world of shooting.
There were a lot of different shell lengths available when it was made. Proof marks will indicate how much pressure the gun was tested with. a 70 stamped would indicate 2 2/3 shell length.
If the gun checked out OK ,find some low recoil loads,Winchester makes some.
Practice,cocking the hammers as you mount the gun to shoot it.....wouldn't want it to go off half cocked.
A group called the Vintagers are quite active on this type of gun.....A eight bore hammer gun is ....impressive
FYI.
12 gauge,16 gauge,20 gauge came from the amount of round lead balls in a pound. which dates back to the days of dram equivalent which we still see today on shell boxes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I love old doubles and agree with everything Briar said except value probably more like $150-$200 depending on condition from my experience. Ed.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Reactions: briar
1 - 20 of 20 Posts