New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what everyones favorite book has been about hunting or fishing. I've read many but Gene Wensels "Hunting Rutting Whitetails" was more helpfull to my success than any by far. What's been your favorite or most usefull?

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
"American Ammunition and Balistics" by Edward Matunas.

Not exactly hunting but it has a ton of technical information on almost every rifle and pistol cartrige.In addittion to that there is a section on shotguns. It also has recommendations on what cartrige to use for what game. The only problem is that it is 30 years old (the pages are turning yellow on mine) so much of the newer ammo isn't covered.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
No favorites, but some of these stand out, and more readings have gone by the wayside and/or I've loaned books out and never saw them again. These are some of my favs and would be at the top of my list:

1) Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the Modern Hunter - Bob Hagel (his handloads are not for the faint-hearted)
2) The Accurate Rifle - Warren Page
3) The Modern Rifle - Jim Carmichael
4) Handgun Hunting - Maj. George Nonte & Lee Jurras
5) Do-It-Yourself Gunsmithing - Jim Carmichael
6) ALL firearms Assembly/Disassembly books written by J.B. Wood
7) The Hunting Rifle - Jack O'Connor
8) Sixgun Cartridges and Loads - Elmer Keith
9) The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America - Jack O'Connor
10) The Experts' Book of Gig-Game Hunting in North America - David Petzal
11) How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life - Larry Benoit

So many modern writings and books today are so much more technical based upon advances in technology, techniques, scents and equipment compared to writings fifty years ago, but these books and authors over the last 45 years brought a solid groundwork for the firearms & hunting basics for me. I never felt deficient after reading and absorbing them. I gleaned most of my hunting skills from my grandfather, father and uncle who I consider consummate professionals when it came to fishing or upland gunning with dogs since I could walk and follow them afield.

Other authors I'd recommend are M. Ayoob, S. Skelton, B. Milek, G. & T. Gresham, Col. C. Askins, G. Wensel, T. Roster, W. Clapp and B. Dalrymple to round out things.

For good short stories by great authors and pictures from around the globe, I've been enjoying Gray's Sporting Journal since its inception in 1975. That's been my "fix" every two months now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.