741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told to ask my question here since you guys
seem to know a lot about whats going on. On Friday
night, about midnight I was driving home on Rt.40
in Salem County, just passed commisioners pike. I saw
a truck with hazzard lights on on the right side
shoulder...not pulled off the road in that spot right
there designed for emergency pull-off, but ON the shoulder. There was a large, silver cage in the back
of the truck, I didnt see anything else with the truck at that point because thats when I spotted the
3 men on the OPPOSITE shoulder. they were in jumpsuits that were carhart-like, had miners hats w/lights, carrying flashlights (no guns) the one guy was carrying one of those giant tv antennae things like you see on wildlife shows when theyre listening for radio collars. By the time I got turned around to get back to that spot to ask them what they were doing or try to see markings on the truck, they were gone...however there are 2 or 3 dirt roads/driveways they couldve gone up, being female and alone it wasnt a good idea for me to actually stop and try to find them.
Fish and game say they know nothing. Ive had someone suggest that maybe they were tracking coyote....on the shoulder of the road? and 3 men to do it? why the cage in the truck then? planning on whistling for it, give it a milkbone and catch it?
Something just doesnt seem quite right. My farm is not far from this area and I'd be real interested to know if theres some sorta "problem" animal in the area. I was told it couldnt be a bear because they use cages that look like barrels and it would be a on a trailer and "they wouldnt release one right there" when F&G said that on the phone that made it sound like they HAVE released bears in my area then! just not at that exact spot. I would think there would be some sorta law or something in place that they have to notify local residents when something gets released or if something has become a problem that they suddenly need to FIND it again, but I guess not! We're not super populated, but there are houses around, quickest way to find something rather than walking around with an antennae is to ask locals "hey, if you see a ....call this number", but by not doing that, makes me think that they (whoever 'they' are) dont want anyone to know whats going on.
Has anyone on this board heard anything about what might have been being tracked that night in that area?
Thank you

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Horcal, I'm pretty familiar with the area and coyotes are not uncommon. But recently, I've been hearing of bear sightings and even pictures from game cams of bears in Salem County. They come from reputable sources, so I believe them. The guy who lives in the house that is at the end of the long dirt driveway, just east of Commissioners Pike, on the south side of 40 is someone I know, and it sounds like they were in his field or very near it, so I'll ask him.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, you mean the "bee" guy? they were closer to Pino's house, he usually has a horse trailer or two
sitting in the driveway. But it was that patch of
woods between "bee" guy and Pino.
I know about the coyotes. Here them at night on occasion see them now and then cutting across the fields. Find the occasional dead one in the horse field....one of my horses is better than a mule at
stomping anything that dont belong. which is great because I also have Dairy goats and various babies (horse and goat) around. They dont bother me as much as bear though becuse I KNOW they are moving those "problem" ones from north jersey down to this area. In another thread someone said it quite well....."you dig a hole .....this big". State doesnt have enough money to pay me for what my show stock is worth!
Are those cams online anywhere? and do the cams say "where" theyre located in Salem county? I'd be real curious to see just how close they are.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Oh, you mean the "bee" guy? they were closer to Pino's house, he usually has a horse trailer or two
sitting in the driveway
No, other side of the road, the honey place is on the north side of Rt 40.

As far as I know, there are none of the bear pics from trail cameras on-line. I just heard that a guy running cams in LAC last fall had bear pictures on one of them. Another report was of a bear in Alloway, but I don't know how credible that claim was, and they had a report in the paper that one was spotted somewhere near Sweedsboro several weeks ago.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I`d think that if your neighbor had a bear complaint,then you`d hear about it.So I doubt it very highly that they were there for bear.BobR is right on the money........Coon hounds with tracking collars. Why would they even think about trying to find a bear at night,aren`t they nocturnal?

We used to run our coon hounds all throughout the year, especially in the spring.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sundowner Redbone's, I know the owner personally. Went hog hunting with him back in the late 80's. I run my dogs at night up to as late as 11pm. and they are beagles. I had a pair of walkers and they could stretch it out at night. No track collar, just dayglows and hear lamp. As far as the bears? I don't see it in Salem County. I have hunted every WMA in this county and probably know of every deer stand and never crossed a track of anything close to a bear. I have had 'yotes bust out in a field running my beagles in Canton and several times in Cumberland County. If their was a bear it would have been seen and reported in the paper. It's like green acres here, if anyone seen a bear my old man would have heard about it at the local dinner and would have told me.

till our trails cross,
Ryan

·
Registered
612 Posts
sasaqutch...he's down there...No they where looking for the Jersey Devil
You're gonna crack up at this but there was a sighting of two large hairy animals in wharton state forest about a year and half ago. The people that made the sighting said they looked like apes but bigger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts