New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for everyone;

What is the total number of points on a buck that you would shoot at?

I hear alot of people say that unlimited DOE hunting is killing the deer herds in Jersey, But you need to keep the DOE's numbers down for bigger body deer. Most of the SO CALLED HUNTERS go by the "If it's brown it's down". From my years working on a ranch in TEXAS, That took hunters out and had a great deer management program. You can't shoot young bucks, That is the real killer of the Game herds anywhere in the World. I wont shoot anything less then a 8 pointer, unless it is badly hurt or deformed. 8 pointers for the most part are 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old deer. Do you shoot 6 pointers and under?? if so maybe you should think about not hunting if you want to have a nice herd where you hunt. I know...I know.. "If I don't shoot it, someone else will" If you think like that .... THEN YOU NEED TO STOP HUNTING ALL TOGETHER...

8 points or more... I only shot 1 Buck under 8 point in my life.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
this might sound like [no swearing please] to alot of people, but, I only shoot trophies unless it's the end of the season. I have so many already on my wall that it is pointless for me to shoot anything under 120 class. No this is me hunting in Pa and we have antler restrictions there. In NJ, I will probably still hold out for a large rack buck, but wont be as picky, since this is my first season hunting here!

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing wrong with hunting Trophies... I hunt Trophies, and the Trophies I hunt is everything I take out of the woods. I don't hunt for size of racks, but Meat for the table. As far as Antler Restrictions go... I think Every State should have it.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Mystic I totally Agree with you. This is the fourth year that PA has had the restrictions, and last year I saw some great bucks in the woods, and also at the butcher. And the harvest of bucks is down, so there are alot of big ones still out there. As far as meat, I take as many does as I can to put meat on my table and a few others as well. You'd be surprised how many people out there dont' hunt but want the meat!!!! I gave away 3 doe last year to friends so they could get it processed however they wanted. And every year it seems like a few more ask me if i can get them a deer!!!

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I have to take a bunch of Does from my property as part of the deal to hunt it. I have antler restrictions in my zone and I see some nice bucks. I will hold out for a big one unless it is the end of the season and then I will not be as picky with the bucks. My freezer is always full of meat!

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Unless I'm going to put it on the wall the bucks around me get a pass. There are plenty of does to fill the freezer.

I would disagree that an 8 pointer is a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old. There are many 1 1/2 year old 8 pointers around me.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would disagree that an 8 pointer is a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old.
Like I said for the most part. I have seen more 3 1/2 yr old 8 pointers then 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 yr old 8 pointers. If you have 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 8 pointers then you should be taking 10 points or more to have a mature deer.

·
11,226 Posts
I like taking ANY bucks. If you want to hunt trophies knock yourself out. If you like to hunt that way, great! Have fun! Thats what it's all about!I like any antlered buck. Spikes, forks, six, seven, eight pointers, what ever. I love them all!
Do you shoot 6 pointers and under?? if so maybe you should think about not hunting if you want to have a nice herd where you hunt. I know...I know.. "If I don't shoot it, someone else will" If you think like that .... THEN YOU NEED TO STOP HUNTING ALL TOGETHER...
To each thier own! I don't tell you how to hunt so please don't tell me! As long as you stay within the boundaries of the law, Hunt the way you want to. Just because YOUR defenition of a trophy isn't the same as mine doesn't mean mine is wrong! It doesn't mean yours is wrong. It just means we like to hunt in our own way. Thats the way it should be. I like taking any buck! Thats what makes me happy! You hunt the way that makes you happy!
I have no problem at all with people trophy hunting if thats what makes them happy, but I do have a problem with people trying to force thier way of thinking on me! Telling me that if this is how you hunt you should stop hunting! We as hunters get enough of that kind of pushing from the Peta and animal rights people. I don't need to hear it from fellow hunters too! We are not machines all programed to think alike! Just because it doesn't make you happy doesn't mean it doesn't make me happy! Don't try and make me feel bad about what makes me happy! Actions like that is another thing that would stear our youth away from hunting. "Yes son, That deer may be good enough to make you happy but it's not good enough for the rest of us because it's antlers aren't what WE consider a trophy! Maybe we should change the name from deer season to Trophy season! Sorry to drag this out so long but if there is one thing I can't stand it's when people try to force thier way of thinking on me! I'll make up my own mind about what makes me happy, Thank you very much!! Have a nice day!!!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Jim, My feelings as well.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
If we where all the same ,Baskins Robbins would only have 1 flavor of Ice Cream. Because we are all different they have 31 flavors.
Same goes for Hunting.As long as its legal,go for it!!Spikes ,8 point ,10 point,they all taste great.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Jersey should have at least a 3 or 4 point min there are enough does to fill the freezer i dont complain when guys shoot small bucks because its legal but i would rather shoot my to bank-a-does and fill the freezer with them then shoot a small buck.
When you talk to other hunters mostly on public property most say if i let one walk someone else will shoot it.
Not trying to start a war those are just my feelings.
PS Try not to drink that much this weekend:D:D

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is just for managing a deer herd. If you want BIG bucks and you shot spikes then you shouldn't hunt
in that spot..
Do you shoot 6 pointers and under?? if so maybe you should think about not hunting if you want to have a nice herd where you hunt.
As far as telling someone else they shouldn't hunt I was talking about people that just shoot at anything... Everyone Please shoot all the spikes you want I hope that makes you all very HAPPY, But please not cry when your spot doesn't have any more nice deer or cry about the deer being on land that can't be hunted.

B

·
0 Posts
I think too many anterless deer have been taken in the past few years, 1 maybe 2 per hunter per year is cool. I also think NJ should have 4 pointers per side. I hunt public land, and if I seen a good buck around, I will not shoot small bucks, I'll wait for the bigger one, but I do understand that the smaller buck will get harvested by some other hunter, but thats how I feel.

·
11,226 Posts
But please not cry when your spot doesn't have any more nice deer or cry about the deer being on land that can't be hunted
As long as there are ANY antlered deer where I hunt there will be "nice deer" as far as I'm concerned.
or cry about the deer being on land that can't be hunted
What does this have to do with shooting younger bucks?[confused]

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shooting at younger buck you start to push the herd out... For what I wrote it was for managing a herd... If you or anyone else likes to shoot any thing thats walks by you...Go for it, and good luck. If anyone goes to a trophy State to hunt, you will find out that outfitters say what should and shouldn't be shoot. That is to make a healther herd and big rack/body deer. If any of you took what I said the wrong way...Owell thats your bad, not mine. I was just passing on Good Managemnet ways. I know what works because I worked with some great teachers. Please hunt your own way and hunt them deer hard. Good Management starts with getting information that helps, Like I was giving. But know one has to take what I say .. as the only way they should hunt... It wasn't writen that way.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Hey to all my fellow hunters out there.....I just want to say let people do what they want as long as it is within the law. Just remember any deer, like a spike can be someones trophy. Last year I shot a real nice 8 point, but the highlight of my season was the spike I shot. It was raining all morning and I didnt see $%^&*#@. I climbed down and did a slow walk on the wet leaves around the property. I saw the spike and got to within 40 yards and double lunged him from a kneeling position(bow). I watched him go down. That was awesome!!! I dont normally shot spikes, but you know what I did that day and it was worth the tag!!! Lets face it, hunting does is usually more intense anyway. I,ve been busted by more does than bucks, because they are alot more in tune with the surroundings. Everyone should be more worried about putting a good shot on the deer than the size of the rack. I fully support the antler restrictions and unlimited doe harvests, and hunt accordingly. Good luck everyone and lets enjoy our time out there hunting.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mystic
Do you hunt public or private land in NJ.If it is private you could control the herd in that way. The areas that I have been hunting in NJ is public and gets hammered real hard.We use to go out and see a good amount of deer but to many does,andbutton bucks being taken with extended seasons.

·
11,226 Posts
shooting at younger buck you start to push the herd out...
So if I shoot an older buck or doe that doesn't push the herd out?[confused]
I understand your talking about managing the herd for bigger bucks and that outfitters TELL you what not to shoot. Thats thier right. They make a living off of people getting a shot at a trophy buck. I would follow the rules of any land owner that lets me hunt thier land and if NJ had antler restrictions (which I disagree with) I would follow those rules as well. As far as shooting anything that moves? Thats not me either.
BHC stated too many does have been taken and I agree to a point. In over all numbers not enough does have been taken. Too many does have been taken from the area's big enough to hunt! Leaving less deer in those area's and still way too many deer in the area's we can't hunt! The unlimited doe days don't work to reduce the problem deer! The real problems are in our back yards and small wood lots in nieghborhoods and around businesses!
Mystic, when you state "maybe you shouldn't hunt then" some people are going to take offense to that! I know you meant well but the choice of words could have been better.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts