New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of buying a new muzzle loader this year and don't want to brake the bank..any suggestions.

·
Registered
677 Posts
check out the cva accura. just picked one up this past weekend. was on sale at cablea's for $339 black w/ stainless barrel. they had black with blue barrel for $269

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
People have a lot to say about CVAs, but from someone that owns one, its a good gun. I have one that was bought a few years back. It came in a blister pack right off the shelf. Its very accurate and was very affordable.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I third the CVA's. Great guns and they are very affordable. A lot of guys swear by T/C but I've had bad experiences with their durability, especially with their lower priced models.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Can't beat a Thompson Centerfire [up][kiss][kiss][drinking][drinking]

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thompson Center all the way. They are worth the few extra bucks you have to pay.[up]

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I recently got the Thompson Triumph. With my lower end Thompson Black Diamond I had shot groups with 3 holes touching at 100 yds. With the Triumph I get a 3" shot group at 100 yards. It may be the cheap Cabelas scope I have on there though.

Also on the Triumph, the so called easy remove breach plug is not that easy to remove. The Weather Shield coating scratches easy.

·
Registered
424 Posts
With the Triumph I get a 3" shot group at 100 yards. It may be the cheap Cabelas scope I have on there though.
I get under an 1.5" with mine using 2 T7 50g and a 250SW. Swab between shots with 50/50 IPA/Windex followed by one dry patch both sides. I do slightly better with loose T7. I don't seem to have a problem with the plug, comes out pretty easy even after a dozen or so shots. The Weather Shield feature is useless, may look nice but really serves no purpose.

·
Registered
677 Posts
i went to cabelas last friday strickly for a muzzy. i had my choices down to an omega, thiumph or accura and I ended up with the cva accura. i didn't like how the thompsons felt/shouldered. i wanted the accura camo thumbhole but did not like how that fit as well. so i got the black & stainless. you might be the other way around. i like the accura pistolgrip-like stock. the gun shoulders awesome. the gun has got good reviews from consumers and magazines. the gentleman at cabela's that helped me out also owned both brands, thompson and cva and said it was his go to muzzy & you can't go wrong for the $$$.
the cva accura comes with a "bergara" barrel that thompson sells as almost a $400 option.

i'll be sighting it in this week, i'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
cva i have the optima and love it

·
Registered
637 Posts
Can't beat the value of a CVA. I have a CVA Hunterbolt camo with blued metal. Came with a .50 and .45 barrels. Real tack driver ... .45 is just slightly better.

For real fun make some Goex smoke with an Euroarms or Pedisoli repo. Now that is REAL muzzleloading.

Has anyone seen the Pedilosi break action that Cabellas advertized for $99? For that price I just might have to do it.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
the cva accura comes with a "bergara" barrel that thompson sells as almost a $400 option
The Bergara barrels are a cheaper (spanish made) alternative to the actual (American made)TC encore barrels. They are usually at least $50 cheaper sometimes closer to $100 cheaper. The Bergara ML barrels for the TC encore sell right around $200 so I'm currious what you mean by a $400 option. TC doesn't sell their ML's with an option of a Bergara barrel and if they did they would have to knock off a $100. They are decent barrels for the $ but are spanish made and therefore cheaper to buy. I've heard of some issues with the quality of the steels used but have not experienced any problems with the ones I've had.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
thinking of buying a new muzzle loader this year and don't want to brake the bank..any suggestions
Are you looking for something new or used? If you want an inexpensive ML look around for a TC black diamond. You can pick them up in like new condition around $150-200 and they are great shooters. If looking new the Omega or Trimuph are good choices. With Knight closing its doors recently you may be able to find a deal on them as well.

·
Registered
677 Posts
so I'm currious what you mean by a $400 option. TC doesn't sell their ML's with an option of a Bergara barrel
i'm looking for it, but the ad was for a begara barrel for a T/C at around $359. wouldn't make it up.

oh, and because it's spanish made it's not as good [eyeroll]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts