New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the top one is from the sunfish family but does anyone know what kind specifically? Is the green one a juvenile smallie or its own type of sunfish as well? I only ask because I plane on taking them to the taxidermist. He's gonna have a heart attack when he sees this Chief!!!

Fish Vertebrate Green sunfish Bluegill Sun bass

Attachments

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
First one Looks like a black crappie, bottom a green sunfish... in a photo where someone turned the saturation to 10000%

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Don't call me chief

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
think the top is just a sunfish, bottom is a pumpkinseed

Reactions: Drop Tine

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
Tough to say with certianty but looks like a pumpkinseed sunfish to me...

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
Looks like a Warmouth
Looks nothing like a warmouth....

A warmouth is darker in color has a bigger mouth and looks more like a rock-bass then a sunfish...

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
It's a Yoda skull.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
The top one is actually a pumpkinseed/bluegill hybrid. That hybrid is very common in NJ waters where both species exist. When I was teaching a water ecology class to our Coldwater Conservation School kids last month in Stokes (NJ School of Conservation), found nearly 1 in 5 adult sunfish to be of this same hybridization.

The bottom appears to be a green sunfish.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
like a said it's petty tough to tell with any certainty from those pics.... the pics are of poor quality throwing the importance of coloration and fin shapes way off... either way it's clearly a sunfish species...

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Looks like baitfish to me at least thats what I call them

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
I'm not knocking you for it... it's easy to understand why you edited the pics... unfortunately it actually makes identifying them tougher... also open/exposed fins helps greatly with identification...

It always amazes me how aggressive sunfish are on lures that are clearly way to big for them to eat....

Crazy... even the hook would never fit...

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
Would be better to have a photo without the crazy photo filters applied. Like how are we supposed to ID the fish when it looks all crazy like that. No fish looks like those photos.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JD I just posted stating that the first pic has no filter. The difference is pretty obvious. That's the exact color they were when i pulled them out of the Ramapo river. Anyway, beautiful fish.
Drop Time you raise an interesting point about sunfish going after lures intended for larger species. The lure I caught these two on was half the size of the fish. If only the trout were as aggressive!

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Why would you keep a fish if you don't even know what it is? What if you're not allowed to keep a certain species? Good looking out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
who said i kept it xbowkiller? why would you open your mouth if you dont know what your talking about. think then speak. now go back to sitting on your shotgun. hillbilly

1 - 20 of 21 Posts