New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happened to sun up? I watched 3 hunters suit up, leave the parking lot and head into the woods at 6:30am. Sun up was 6:53! I was always told that if you were in the woods with a gun (loaded or not) you are considered to be hunting. What's the law? Can you go in early on a WMA?

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
So when I walk out with my two birds and unloaded gun an a CO aproachs me im still hunting?[ko]

I believe it is more of ethics to wait by your vehicle (depending on the spot) but I dont think they are breaking any laws...just being A*holes...

Did you talk sh*t? I would have

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
That's been going on for years guys walk in on the roads to get positioned in the back of the feilds. I guess as long as they don't shoot anything its fine

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Its standard protocol at black river as guys march in unloaded at your leisure, find a field and wait. Or with some guys stake out a tree with a bird sitting. I can't imagine 50 guys and 20 dogs going in together singing Kumbaya when a bird takes off. Its legal, the CO's have checked for loaded guns all the time but are usually sprinting for the early shooters.[eek] I didn't miss it at all this year:D

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I assume your talking about small game hunting, waterfowl if your walking into your spot which is on WMA you want to be set up prior to 1/2 hr before sunrise. Same thing with deer hunting you walk in before legal shooting time. So whats the difference.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
I actually do that never thought it was wrong. I do not shoot birds in trees. I point them out to kids. I never load my gun until shooting time. I just like to get.away from the crowds.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
it depends on the spot....where I hunt in assunpink you pretty much stand by your vehicle because once u walk in a few feet youll probably kick up birds

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
It's better off when guys walk in and separate, just imagine everyone walking in together and a bird get's up in between everyone[eek]

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Maximus that is how I felt. I never try to screw anyone i am not a bird hog. I point out birds to everyone else. I really do not care if i ever get birds. I enjoy the walk.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
If your gun is unloaded you are not hunting. Walking in unloaded
Is 100% legal, I ask two c/o's at the youth hunt last year
Both told me it's legal .one said he does not know why more
Guys don't do it , instead of a mass of guys running in
Like 10 year olds.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
They do the same thing at Colliers. I don't know if it's legal or not. Seems crazy to me, everyone shooting in everyone elses direction.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
It's legal. Same as getting to your stand before legal hunting time. Same rule apply to both.

But I wouldn't try it in NJ...the vehicles are so close to the fields/hunting spots.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So when I walk out with my two birds and unloaded gun an a CO aproachs me im still hunting?
I think thats the difference between walking out of the woods and walking into the woods.

and yes I told them they should camp out overnight like it was black friday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts