New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a trophy? No I'm not talking about those things on your bedroom shelf from the pinewood derby or that cheerleader from high school. I am talking about trophies in the hunting and fishing world.

There is a lot of talk about trophies these days. Yes everyone wants that big one deep down, but I believe a throphy is in the eyes of the beholder. My cousins 1st deer was a button buck taken with his bow. I went with my uncle to pick him up as we were going small game hunting and the look on his face when he saw my cousin with the deer was priceless. My cousin was excited as well. To him that is a trophy; his 1st deer and his only deer with his bow. This type of deer is probably a trophy to many other rookies. I have been hunting for a while now and it will probably be a trophy for me if that is the first type of deer I connect with with my bow.

Over the years I have taken many of what I consider trophies. One example would be a pheasant hunt I shot a few years ago. It was shot without a dog on a non stocking day. I worked hard for it. Another one I have is my first deer. I sat all day and did not see a deer. With 5 minutes left of legal hunting time I see a deer. It was piebald and a button buck. Just getting a deer was exciting, but a piebald was better. Would I have shot it even if it wasn't a piebald? Yes, it was my first deer. My grouse this year is also a trophy. It wasn't big, but they are hard to find and I worked hard for it.

This can also be taken into the fishing world. Everyone wants a pool winning fish. Trophies can be smaller. I know a guy that has first a long time to try to catch a musky in Greenwood Lake. He finally caught on and had it mounted. It wasn't huge, but it was his 1st and it was legal size. He goes back looking for a bigger one, but he has his trophy already. One year fishing Ken Lockwood Gorge with my wife we caught a bunch of trout, but it the 2 wild trout we caught that we talk about. All of 6 inches or so, but trophies.

Yes I have my 10 pointer on the wall and will welcome a bigger one. I also have some trophy goals in mind. I would love to harvest a ringless pheasant. I had one last year, but the feathers were removed by a guy ringing it's neck. So I will continue. I would also like to catch a dolfin, doesn't need to be big. Or even a pike.

Bottom line is, everyone has their trophies in mind. Some will wait until the 140 cl [no swearing please] buck comes. Others will shoot the 1st deer they see. To me the 1st is always a trophy. Everyone has their goals. And to everyone: Good Luck on achieving theirs goal. My next trohpy will be the 1st bird I shoot over my pup.

Good Luck guys.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
anything and everything is a trophy to someone. a DOE is a trophy, a Buck with 8points is a trophy, the groundhog I shot last month is a trophy. Only you know what a true trophy is.....

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Any animal that one takes ethically and legal is a trophy, no matter of the size or weapon. We all have different standards, But not one of us should critisize ones trophy. [up][up][up][up][up]

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
A trophy is anything you work hard for,Perioid. If it's a button buck or a 180 cl [no swearing please] 12 pointer,There both trophy's. My son was 4 when he caught his first sun fish,That was a trophy. If you race in a 50 yard run or a 12 mile cross country event and place, It's a trophy moment.

·
Registered
162 Posts
my first bear was a 150lb cinnamon-phase male ...got him when I was 18 hunting Lycoming County in PA ...after missing/seeing bears since the age of 12 he was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in the woods ...that bear, my first wood duck, my first turkey, first buck ...all trophies ...life is crazy ...kids,work,wife, the like ...but everytime I look upon one of my mounts or a hunting/fishing pic I smile and remember the moments behind the trophy ...all my memories are trophies

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
What is a trophy to me...

Well, since this is my first year back hunting after an 11 year hiatus, having time in the woods alone was trophy status. Each of the deer I took this year were trophies as hunting is all new to me again and each was taken from a different stand location with each their own story.
The first mink I trapped when I was 15 was a trophy, and I will never forget it.
The first grouse I shot at 16, I kept the tail fan of that bird for many years and through many moves.

Most of all my memories of hunting and interacting with the woods are my best trophies. I can sit here at work and replay the events in my mind.

All that said, nothing will compare to if I can share and p [no swearing please] these things down to my daughter when she gets old enough.

-dan

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
anything and everything is a trophy to someone. a DOE is a trophy, a Buck with 8points is a trophy, the groundhog I shot last month is a trophy. Only you know what a true trophy is.....
Agree 110%!:)

Most of all, my memories of hunting and interacting with the woods are my best trophies.
Yup, same here.....all I can add to that is that sharing the great outdoors with friends and family is a great "trophy" to me as well.

Warning, this post sparked a thought in my head which has lead me to share a longwinded explanation about nothing. Read on at your own risk. Dont say I didnt warn you. :D

When I look at people like Fred Bear, Saxton Pope, Art Young, and MANY MANY others, I always think of all that they did for this lifestyle. Everything they did to propogate the way of hunting with a bow. They dedicated their lives to recruiting others, and showing us the way. Someday I hope to do my own small part and p [no swearing please] this wonderful way of life onto children of my own. Of course, I dont have children yet, but I have introduced hunting to two of my younger brothers, and helped many friends get involved in this wonderful way. To me that is the best part of hunting/fishing and life in the outdoors. Passing it on to others! Better than any animal I'll ever kill, or any fish I'll ever catch. Igniting a love of this lifestyle in others allows the "sport" to go on forever. Long after my deer mounts become riddled with moth holes, and long after my fish mounts fade to dust. The people I introduced to hunting and fishing will have introduced it to others, spreading it like a wildfire. As long as I am a part of inspiring or introducing others to hunt, I feel like I will live on forever.
:)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Ok Matty... that was a little sappy...

LOL

But I agree with your sentiments, or is that sediments...

-dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts