New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the cold weather coming in soon, What head covering / mask or gloves do you use for archery season. Also what do you do for gun season?

Anyone try those heat warmer pads you stick to your socks? No matter what insulation / sock combo I try my feet get extremely cold. Just wondering if they get so hot it will make my feet sweat. Cold and wet is even worse than extremely wet!!

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
For my head, I wear something like this:
Headwear
With this covering it:
Camo Headwear

For gloves, I wear a pair of cheap camo finger gloves bought at Walmart, with the trigger finger and thumb cut off. And then I stick my hands in this:
Hand Muff

This seems to do the trick for me.

David

·
Registered
546 Posts
I guess that's why I really haven't gotten into this full force yet. I hate the cold. And like you drome my feet get really cold in the winter no matter what I wear. Once my feet are cold/frozen I'm chilled through and can't stand it.

So if someone out there can tell me how to keep my feet AND my rearend warm, maybe I can get into this short WHOLE heartedly. Otherwise my season will be really limited to the weather conditions and from everything I've been reading...the deer don't like the heat like I do and stay put.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
For boots, I'd go with a set of pac boots. They will keep your feet warmer than anything else. Contrary to popular opinion, they don't have to be camo'd, all black or all brown will do. If they are made with a rubber outside, that's even better.

David

·
11,226 Posts
No matter what insulation / sock combo I try my feet get extremely cold.
Two keys to keeping your feet warm are keeping them dry and leaving room for circulation! So many hunters make the mistake of putting on too many socks and limiting the circulation of blood to the feet!
Stay away from any cotton socks! Cotton holds moister and wet feet = cold feet! A thin ski type sock or even a silk stocking type covered by a thicker Wool sock is what I like to use. The ski socks draw moister away from the skin keeping your feet dryer even after sweating. Wool tends to stay warm even after getting wet.
For my head warm days get a baseball type cap with some camo netting cold days get a wool cap. If your going to where a hunter orange baseball style cap find one with a dark color under the brim of the cap. This will help cut down on glare. The ones with the orange under the brim always seem to make it harder to see...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A thin ski type sock or even a silk stocking type covered by a thicker Wool sock is what I like to use. The ski socks draw moister away from the skin keeping your feet dryer even after sweating.
Thanks for the suggestion, ill try a dress sock with a wool sock the next time its go and I go out.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I agree with Yoda on the pacs. But if you're in a treestand they can be real clumsy to move around in.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
j-hunter...With size fifteen feet large boots make it harder to get your feet into position for your shot during bow season. I like to stand when I shoot and like to be shooting as normally as possible(not twisting my waist too much whish can throw off your shot). Usually this requires me to shift my feet to get them pointed in the right direction. I hate these big clumsy feet when your on a stand platform that was designed for guys who are 5'9".

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Who moves around in a treestand? There's nowhere to go.
Guess your right Jerseyhunter. I meant I have a problem fitting them into the straps while i climb. My size 12s in a pac are about the size of a 20.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts