New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a lot of coons dead on the road in the last month. It seams like within a day or two they are gone. I think they are getting picked up by bears. I see most of them between Clinton and Columbia (Delaware Water Gap). Rt31 and 46.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
That job STINKS in the summer! Around here in Somerset cty, they mark an orange X on them. This tells others it has been reported and will be picked up.

Would not be surprised if bears are eating them. If they are lucky enough to catch wind of one I'm sure they would eat it.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Don't think so Drag..I've never seen the X on deer on 78 or 287..It seems like the X is used in towns where deer die on the front lawns afeter being hit.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I know that road killed deer in PA are picked up and taken to game lands, and thrown into a large hole they dug, and then covered up when it is full, i am not sure what they do here tho

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I heard in PA if you want to keep a roadkill buck its $10 an antler point.

Also, in Carbon county PA... near the Pocono race track... on Rt. 903... there is a beer distributor. Inside... there is a nice black bear full body mount... I asked the clerk who shot it. He said the owner found the bear... roadkill... and had to pay PA F&G $50 to keep him for the mount.

Nice bear too.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Hey Drag, this could be your answer to your other post " Running out of Venison".
How about some BUMPER BAMBI :p Or Smear of Deer !
Just think, it will probably already be tenderized :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
I WORKED FOR UNION CTY PARKS AND REC BACK WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE AND THEY USED TO COLLECT THE DEER - BRING THEM TO A SITE AND COVER THEM WITH LIME - THIS WAS 9 YRS AGO- PRETTY SURE THEY STILL DO THE SAME THING IN UNION CTY

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
In PA you dont have to pay anything for roadkill deer....no matter buck or doe, but if it is a buck you have to notify the game commission...But if a bear is roadkill, you have to pay for the bear, and i dont know what the price tag is on that

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
The owner of Space Farms in Newton has a permanent permit to pick up road kill to feed to his animals. In an article he stated that sometimes the backstrap doesn't make it to his exibits but rather to his pan.
Hey nothing wrong with that. Hey, if I ride by at 4:30 am and the roads clear and I return at 9 am and its there and I didn't get one . and it's not busted up, it tastes just as good. Though I,ve been getting enough the last couple years, the wife told me to stop picking them up. But I hate anything going to waste.(love to experiment making hdogs,kielbasy. sausage etc) Besides my neighbors don't know how it was killed.:D

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yes I know the guy that drive around for Space Farms. They only have a permint to pick up deer in Branchville ,Sussex Twp, Lafayette,Wantage Twp,and some Sparta & Andover.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts