New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What grain should i shoot for my 30-06. From what i have been reading. I think 150 grain would be good for deer. But i'm new to rifles so i could be wrong.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
180gr..... I used that in a 1917 Springfield bolt-action WWI U.S ARMY .30-06, Took a deer 300 yards open sights.... You can drop a Elk with that round...

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
180 Rem Core Loc in my Rem 7400 30-06 have always been my choice ...but also depends on the terrain and the shot distance your trying to shoot...if you want distance and a flst trajectory try a 160 grain boat tail bullet..good hunting

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What are you planning on shooting? And what type of gun is your '06? How many inch barrel?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
my 30-06 shoots great out to 200 yards with, 230 gr. remington cor lock, or 220 gr. cant think of the actual weight for some reason. but, i like the heaviest thing i can throw at a deer, if i could shoot boulders at them i would. maybe i need a catapult? for some reason i dont think corzine would approve of that

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Test different grain and manufacture in your gun. What works out of one gun, might not workout of an identical gun. I spent sometime at the public ranges this year, watching guys sight in there muzzleloaders and slug guns. I realized that many guys out there don't have a clue at how to sight in a gun. They staple a target or pie plate to wood and if they can hit it at a give range then thats good enough. No rests, no grouping, no dialing it in. If it hit the target that good enough. I like to play around with the gun and see what it likes. I did know that my muzzleloader loves 110 grains of powder (2-30 grain pellet and 1 50 grain) it hold 1 3/4 groups at 100 yards. With 150 grains it shoots 3" groups... imagine that and I don't feel short changed by not shooting the max. Accuracy over knock down power, anytime. Sighting in is fun, not work. Enough chat for now, get a ballistics book and practice around with different loads.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My deer rifle is a .270 with 130 grain Boattail spitzer. I have whacked (the sound it makes when it connects) them out to 350 with it. Yes, I use a rangefinder. Yes, I use a mil-dot scope. Yes, I hand load.

Ryan

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
The Federal Premium 165's are a great round. It's a good in between weight from the 150-180 grn bullets.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Test different grain and manufacture in your gun
Great advice, but I would still start with the 165's, especially if you are hunting deer sized animals. Heavier for larger animals.

That's why I reload, try different brands of bullets, different loads etc. Gotta find what works for you and your gun.[up]

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
30 caliber is a excellent choice. They have the widest range of bullet wght. to choose from than any other cartridge.I have found Federal ammo through the years to shoot best out of my rifles.150-180 grn would make for good deer medicine.

PETE

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
150gr corelok for deer....180 gr for elk/ moose

Better shot group from my gun with 150 gr.

I have a bunch of 165 grain boat tails reloads that I got real cheap at a Cherry Ridge swap meet. I get terrible groups with these rounds. I think the guy that sold them was dumping some bad loads.

In my .308 I used to get super groups with the factory load Federal 165 gr SPBT at 200 yards. I never shot a deer with the SPBT's, but I heard they don't mushroom well.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I used 160 gr. silvertips in .308 and 140 gr. noslers in .270.

Even if you don't handload - test different loads and weights as well as brands. You'll find what you are looking for.

Don't forget to let your barrel cool down after a few shots.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe I used 160 gr in 7mm Rem Mag. Found that heavier bullets group better. Very anti-climactic as deer fell exactly where it stood.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Very anti-climactic as deer fell exactly where it stood.
Beats a four hour track covering a few miles because of poor bullet performance.

"Use enough Gun!" - Bob Ruark

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
180gr federals, i dont care much for them remingtons.my 06 shoots great with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.