New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what gauge the fellow pheasant hunters use?
My two pheasant guns are 12 gauge semi and a
20 gauge O/U. It's a hard one for me every morning i go hunting but most of the time i go with the 20.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I use a 20 gauge Remington Pump. I will be taking out the 12 gauge Winchester model 12 when I get it back from the gunsmith. Hasn't been shot in close to 30 years. I know guys that have hunted them with a 28 gauge. Once I join a club with my dog I am going to ask my cousin if I can try his double barrel 16 gauge.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Any double SXS or OU in 12 or 20 guage is ideal for upland hunting. One barrel choked full the other choked modified or improved/ modified. This way you can adjust to different range shots.

If I ever start pheasant hunting again I want to get a SXS 20. I just think a SXS is cooler than a OU...personal preference.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I've used .410, 20 and 12. Depends on where your'e hunting. Wide open fields 12 ga., combo woods and fields,20 ga., and for the realy thick stuff wher you can't see a fast ligh fast swinging .410 is tops. This way there's something left after a 15- 20yd shot.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Any ideas what club?
Possibly Allendale Rod and Gun Club or J&G Preserve in Hackettstown.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This way there's something left after a 15- 20yd shot.
i went out yesterday and had the 12 Gauge. I hit a bird about 15 to 20 yards away and when i cleaned it the side that i hit was gone. Just alittle strip of the breast left. It may not help that when i bought my shells the only size shot they had was #4

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
size shot they had was #4
A little over kill wouldn't you think.

My cousin hit a chukar with a #4 a few years ago. It was already field dressed before it hit the ground.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I would go buy somemore shells.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Merkel SxS 16 ga. with #4 shot. Preferred and used most of the time.
I do switch to the Fox 12 ga. or the Winchester 101 20 ga. once in a while. For the most part though, the 16 gets the call.

It's not really the shot size that is the concern, what LOAD are you using? High brass, high br [no swearing please] magnums, low brass, target loads, field loads? Match the shell to the job being done.
When I use my 12 ga. I try to use Winchester Heavy Game Load. It's a low br [no swearing please] shell with a little more shot. Over the dogs it works fine.
Also, 10 yards is a bit close to be shooting the bird. Especially if you're using high br [no swearing please] ammo. WOW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts