New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was just wondering what some of the best ways to keep the bugs off you during the opening weeks of bow season. was wondering what works and doesn't leave a sent that deer dont like. so what do you use. (off, cutter, deet,, a mask, electronic zapper)

thanks guys

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I'm praying this ThermaCELL works! First time I'll be out with it hunting. Though it did help on the boat while crabbing a few weeks ago. Clothes just got sprayed with permethrin too. I don't plan on spraying anything in the morning.

·
Registered
824 Posts
mouth wash works good at keeping the bugs away, not sure if the deer would appreciate it tho.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would spray my clothes with permethrin the day before and let them dry overnight, then use the thermacell while hunting. the thermacell will keep the mosquitoes away and the permethrin will kill any ticks you might pick up.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Also the Permethrine will work for up to 2-3 weeks if kept in a black plastic bag, dried first and not stunk up by sweat. They say it will last a couple washings also, but I just re spray. Been bit to many times before I heard of this stuff. Not worth the chance of Lyme"s let alone where these little buggers like to bite.[ko] Ps. Old spice only works on felines[patcheye]

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
Thermacell is boss

i soak my hunting cloths in permethrin too for ticks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put a head net on and deal with it
I got a camo hankerchief that I think I'm just going to wrap around my face from my nose down. That will do for now. I almost brought a thermacell at the heritage guild the other day but didn't know if they worked. Now I know! I'll have to pick one up for next season.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Thermacell....finer than frog hair!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Thermocell for the mosquitos and flying critters, permetherin spray for ticks chiggers etc. Never been much of a gadget guy, but since I got that Thermocell a few years ago I swear by it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
was just wondering what some of the best ways to keep the bugs off you during the opening weeks of bow season. was wondering what works and doesn't leave a sent that deer dont like. so what do you use. (off, cutter, deet,, a mask, electronic zapper)

thanks guys
Where does one buy this permathrin stuff?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not worried so much about ticks or chiggers. Depending on go much brush I walk through into my stand. Which is not a lot my biggest issue is the Nats. They come out and swarm at your mouth.

Delicious

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Where does one buy this permathrin stuff?
The more famous commercial stuff goes by the name Sawyers. However, you can by bulk permethrin, mix it with water and make your own for way cheaper than Sawyers. That's what I've been doing and its been working great (just sprayed two sets of clothes this afternoon as a matter of fact!). I posted somewhere on here the recipe and links and prices and all that. Do a search for it. I'll see if I can find it - if so, I'll post the link.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
The more famous commercial stuff goes by the name Sawyers. However, you can by bulk permethrin, mix it with water and make your own for way cheaper than Sawyers. That's what I've been doing and its been working great (just sprayed two sets of clothes this afternoon as a matter of fact!). I posted somewhere on here the recipe and links and prices and all that. Do a search for it. I'll see if I can find it - if so, I'll post the link.
Here's the thread and my post - http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/73-general-comments-information/166922-ticks.html#post2436743

Further on down that thread, I talk about the 10% solution, if you don't want petroleum distillates in your finished mixture: here - http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/foru...s-information/166922-ticks-3.html#post2440911

1 - 20 of 22 Posts