New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people say that character is essential in helping our children navigate the challenging currents in life. Character can give a child the strength and courage to stay on a productive course and resist the temptations like drugs, and the other ills of our society.

It might be safe to say that our nation’s character is a compilation of the character of all Americans. Our collective character “…helps our country to continue its role as a world leader and assists in preventing America from downfalls experienced by the once-dominant nations of Great Britain, Spain, Portugal, Egypt, and the Roman Empire. It was not necessarily changing economies or eroding prosperity that undermined the dominance of these societies, but the obsolescence of political ideologies and social structures, as well as the decaying of spiritual and human workings. Character is as important for the individual as it is for society.”

Do you think it’s fair to say that hunting offers parents a means to help us build character in our children? I have some thoughts on this subject but was wondering what some of you hunters or non-hunters thought.

Ant

(Excerpt from The New Age Hunter pg 124)
http://www.anthonypmaurosr.com

·
11,226 Posts
Some of the best(only) lessons I ever learned from my old man were out in the field or in a boat! It's funny how those basic "fair chase" and "hunters honor" rules apply in every day life! Choices you make when nobody else is around or nobody else will find out is what makes up our true character. I can't tell you how many times that saying has passed through my head when making choices in my life. That same saying was pounded into my head when a game animal or fish could have been taken out of season or on someone elses property ect. ect..
Thinking safety first was always pounded into my head as well. Think of the effects of you actions and how it will effect others around you. This lesson was taught to me in the woods but it has also kept me from doing some really stupid things in every day life!!!
To answer the question, yes there is no doubt in my mind that hunting and fishing offers parents a means to help build character in our children.

Good post Ant.

·
Registered
545 Posts
YES I DO- I KNOW MY PARENTS/FAMILY MEMBERS WERE ABLE TO INSTILL IN ME MANY GREAT QUALITIES THRU HUNTING - PATIENCE,DISCIPLINE, RESPECT OF THE LAW/ANIMALS/FELLOW HUNTERS, VALUE OF FAMILY, UNITY, HARD WORK ETC - JUST LIKE SPORTS HUNTING TEACHES ALOT OF LIFES LESSONS

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are great posts. JerseyJim and TITUS I feel the same way. I enjoyed reading each of your thoughts because the honesty in the way hunting has impacted your lives came through in your posts.

Thanks
Ant

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
My Pop brought me fishing alot when I was young but he was never a diehard fisherman.He did it to spent more quality time with me.This is something that's really missing in todays sosiety.Families need to spend more time together outdoors and less time in front of the TV. The best part about the outdoors is there is no restriction because of size ar ability everyone can participate.:)

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea Tail Chaser. I agree.

I think that hunting can be a catalyst for developing character in our children – and also for exercising the characters of us adults. Hunting teaches us that there are rewards for being persistent, it gives us an appreciation for life and death, allows us to view the mysteries of nature and animal courtship, and teaches that theses mysteries work on very deep levels of our own existence too.

Hunting is an activity in which honesty, integrity, responsibility, wisdom, cooperation, ethics, and justice can be learned and formed in the souls of our children. In today’s world of political correctness, heightened peer pressure for self-destructive behavior (drugs, pre-marital sex, etc.), and blurred lines between right and wrong, character is essential for keeping kids on a productive course in life.

Building character through hunting starts when we expose our kids to the wilderness and sport hunting at a young age. The field or woods allows them to gain an appreciation for the wonder and magnificence of the wild and of wildlife. They can see the importance of responsible behavior when it comes to handling a firearm, and they can also witness our character in a remote setting with the understanding that we just don’t display “character” when in the company of others.

I think hunting exposes our youth to adult situations and allows them to see how we as parents or mentors react. They get an up-close view of OUR character. As role models we let children adopt our values by allowing them to observe what we do—and not just by telling them what they should do. Hunting allows us to teach respect for our natural resources, the habits of wildlife, and the concept of game management, to express our ethics and spirituality, and lets us be healthy and content with our lives. These are certainly elements I know I want my kids to identify with.

Hunting provides a release for the many tensions of life, for both young and old. Hunting allows aggressive energies to be released in healthy ways. Many psychologists believe that the self-destructive behavior associated with drugs, violence, and gang participation stems from the desire to ‘fit in’ and the need for love. A viable preventive medicine to these ills is exposing children to nature and providing an affiliation with peers with a similar interest. As they mature they will know that the enjoyment that nature offers is an alternative to the isolation and trouble that other kids choose.

Hunting is an activity that supports character development because it demands maturity to manage responsibilities like the safe handling of firearms, wilderness preparation to minimize the dangers in the rugged areas in which we hunt, the study of the important attributes of our quarry to ensure proper identification in the field, and an interest in the future of the animals that feed and clothe us.

I also think hunting involves developing a skill that helps a kid be successful in life. Instead of “dumbing down” the lessons we teach our children hunting requires that we teach in ways that encourage them to adopt a maturity beyond their years. This is a good foundation for helping young adults cope with the many fears and insecurities they have about their futures.

Ant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts