New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is one of my favorite all-time bucks, and old survivor, I have footage of him 5 years running, I am guessing he is 6.5. Always a screwy rack because he walks on 3, runs on 4... That rear leg injury holds him back, but he is a very active rut participant every year. Had one close call with him on 10/21, but he is virtually un-killable even now. Very nocturnal after a looong season that seemingly never ends.

So - did he wake up on wrong side of bed? Buckshot? (don't think so) Briars? (doubt it)... Coyotes (I am thinking perhaps - but how did he get away?).

Heard the yotes howling this morning at 3am, so they are around. He has survived some pretty harsh winters on 3 legs. I have NEVER seen his coat beat up like this...

PICT0186.jpg PICT0190.jpg PICT0205.jpg PICT0214.jpg PICT0209.jpg

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking a little less beat up on the 20th. I know the bucks are still sparring, latest I have ever seen, so that could be the most likely scenario?

PICT0040.jpg PICT0051.jpg

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have some wicked briar patches in a few of his choice bedding areas. But why all of a sudden? Maybe he gets pushed in deeper than he wishes? Sacrifices his coat to go where yotes or outlaw deer pushers won't follow? Coyote's usually attack from the hams forward, not likely they would be grabbing him high in the back and shoulder...

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think fighting possibly.
Basically fighting off one rear leg, he would be at quite a disadvantage in a buck fight. But he has that mean sweeping left "hook" to come back with.

·
Registered
331 Posts
maybe he was fighting one buck and another came in and took a crack at him from the side, ive never personally seen white tails do that but ive seen other animals do it on those nature shows

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I have some wicked briar patches in a few of his choice bedding areas. ...
Ya Think? LOL Our area has the most hellacious green briar thickets you can imagine...and lots of them have those long string tendrils of razor sharp thorns that seem to wrap you up if you happen to brush by them....almost like razor wire.....Not saying that's what happened here, I've seen plenty of deer run through that stuff without any serious effort and they looked just fine on the other side

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Autumn Olive could also do it - that is his primary bedding site, the briars are his secondary. Those olives grow some mean spikes and I often wonder how a deer can get through those...

Reactions: MTH

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
New njh meet up at Jack Harris's property. New drivers bring coffee and donuts.

·
Registered
633 Posts
no way that is from briars! looks like something attacked him bear, domestic dog, or a barbed wire fence possibly. They are larger looking wounds, Infected buckshot? Definitely not thorns or briars

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fact that he is licking one of the spots, does suggest it's a wound of some sort. I may lean toward frisky sparring, there are 4 other 2.5 year old bucks still having headgear and I do have pics of them sparring a lot lately... Could be fighting over ####y or food - who knows?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Njh sign up for Jack Harris's property. If it is brown it is down but we know there is at least 6 bucks there.he needs help killing his bucks so don't be shy fellas, sign on up, invite all your friends, this could possibly be a yerley drive. We will call this drive the Alamo since it seems the bucks retreat here.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Njh sign up for Jack Harris's property. If it is brown it is down but we know there is at least 6 bucks there.he needs help killing his bucks so don't be shy fellas, sign on up, invite all your friends, this could possibly be a yerley drive. We will call this drive the Alamo since it seems the bucks retreat here.

Just realize - in my neighborhood, my motto is if it's orange it's down, or if it walks on two legs - it's down!!!!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I call him Tripod - leg been like that for 5 years... That's not a new injury - it's why his rack is screwy every year

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thrid pic looks to be a thorn vine stuck to him. Coats very thick right now you don't need much disruption to make it look major. My vote is briars. Licking a wound possible but could also be just grooming fur back in place

1 - 20 of 30 Posts