New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys so I did a little scouting yesterday and came across this rub. Thought it was a little strange that it looks like the browtines where the only thing that touched the tree. The other side of the tree was untouched. So my question is do you think this could have been a decent sized buck or is it more likely that it was a spike that just hit a larger tree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know my buddy said that too but it was in zone15 I didn't think there where many bears if any in that area

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanna say it's probably like 6 or 7 inches in diameter

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
could easily be a 1.5yr spike/y... size of rub doesn't always equal size of buck.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
That was not made by a spike. I do npt think it was just brow tines either. He rubbed one side of his rack then the other side without changing where he was standing that is why there are two bare areas with a space between them. I am thinking that its at least a halfway decent buck.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
lol made by your hunting neighbor who doesn't want you to find the real rub line hahahah

·
Registered
431 Posts
....good luck....sure seems like a buck!

Anthony:)

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Is that on a healthy tree. The bark appears to be peeling.the bark os actually curling. That may be why it is that big.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I guess it could be made by another hunter but hopefully it's a decent buck haha.... And yea the tree looked healthy to me

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Is that on a healthy tree. The bark appears to be peeling.the bark os actually curling. That may be why it is that big.
Black birch do that quickly after being rubbed. We have lots of black birch, especially young trees that bucks love to rub and we see that same thing often.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Black birch do that quickly after being rubbed. We have lots of black birch, especially young trees that bucks love to rub and we see that same thing often.
Good to know. Thanks. I am.not to familiar with that wood. It just seemed old looking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts