New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a rash of burglary's in my neighborhood on and off for the past year or so.. I keep a firearm close by but with this douche breaking in I'm afraid to leave it out. It's NOT out in the open but I'm sure he could find it.

I can't afford an alarm system right now under the circumstances I've been unemployed since march 2011. Once I get a job I hope to get an alarm system put in. But it doesn't seem to stop this guy.

God help him should I catch him in the act. The neighbors keep telling me it's the a-hole up the street who also deals drugs and what not.

Why can't the cops do something about it? if people KNOW who it is?? Any LEO'S here? Can you answer any of my questions??

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
A larger sized dog that barks. My Weimeramer if a big baby, but when anybody come through the door, she sounds like she wants blood. Then she rolls over and wants her belly rubbed. Labs are pretty good at this too. Motion lights are also pretty good, as are interior light timers if you are away. Just be sure to change the time up now and then. If someone sees the lights go on at 6 and off at 10 every night, they know its a timer.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I keep a sawed off double barrel in my room two oo buck shot on my dresser jic someone wants to try to break in put it to u this way they wouldnt be leaving

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
fyi MOST burglaries take place during the daylight hours when people are not home. If you have a guy thats doing jobs while the people are home asleep he's a ballsy guy and obviously not afraid of the home owner waking and finding him. I would recommend a double dose of 00 Buck. [lol]
Kidding aside LOCK EVERYTHING, perimeter lighting (motion sensor lighting) light timers set at different intervals for different areas to appear as if your schedule is varied. Even going out and buying alarm signs or stickers for the windows may help deter this p.o.s. these guy go for easy opportunities.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Went through a similar problem on my street. I got an alarm system installed for the doors and a couple windows which are easy access points. I put wood 2x4 across my basement windows. Alarm system stickers on every window. A beware of dog sign in the front and back of my house. you can buy battery powered door and window alarms at home depot and they are very loud. I also put an extra sliding latch on the front and back door.

There is nothing better than piece of mind by taking several precautions. My wife is not worried anymore which is great as well.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have a biometric safe next to the bed with one of the pistols.. all the others are in a safe. my fiance has a 6 yr old so I won't ever leave mine unlocked for safety reasons and daylight entry..

but my order is my AR at the bottom of the steps, shotgun if they get up the steps, pistol if they get past that, bat, then knife..

If they get through all that then I deserve whatever happens.. same plan for zombie invasion except throw in a chainsaw

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep the gun in the safe when your not home, and take it when you are.
That's what I was thinking of doing but what a PITA but i guess it's the safest way of doing it without loosing a good piece of Equipment.

I have 2 small dogs but like some of you have said they roll over when you come in. LOL Although with the sounds of breaking glass who knows what they would do.

I just purchased a new metal gun Cabinet @ Dick's Sporting goods better than the wood one I had makes me feel better. I was thinking of CCTV or dummy camera's around the outside of the house and possibly 1 or 2 inside. The wife suggested signs I may have to run to Lowes or go see hommer...

Thanks guys... :)[up][up][up]

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i'd be interested to see the answer to your questions Tom. I have an issue too, with someone in the area who is dealing H. Everyone knows who it is too..

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Agree about the easy target thing. Lights on and doors/windows locked is a start.

LEO told me that a dog in the house also make criminals look for an easier target.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'd be interested to see the answer to your questions Tom. I have an issue too, with someone in the area who is dealing H. Everyone knows who it is too..
NJdave just sent you a PM.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Aside from having a safe and a dog, I did add one other thing for when I am not home during the day.
It is a wireless webcam that sits in a main area of my home and is fairly inconspicuous. It has a built-in motion sensor. Basically, if someone or something walks by, it takes a video of them (2-3 seconds worth) and emails it to me. I get an email on my smartphone, with the video attachment. If its something that concerns me, I can give the local PD a call to check it out.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Forgot to mention after reading flats post.... I put my trail cam on a tree facing the back of my house. Got a few pics of the neighbors and vehicles that turned around in the driveway. It would have been awesome to get photos of the dbag scouting around the house.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts