New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and some buddies started goose hunting last year, we only got one and we took the breasts out and threw the rest of the bird. The one told us this is how you do it, from what he had heard, because he was told the rest of the bird isnt worth eating.

Im the type of person that doesnt like wasting the animals I kill. Is this what you do? How do you prepare your geese?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
jerky or wrap in bacon and put in broiler with some poultry seasonings salt pepper and its delicious

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
i crockpot it with sauerkraut

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I shot one years ago. Hated it. Haven't hunted them since. I am the same way. If I kill it I wanna eat it. I didn't like eating them so I don't kill them.[up]

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I thought what my friend said was off when he said only the breasts where good to eat. Next one we get im going to skin it and try roasting it.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
JERKY!!!

If you take the time to pluck it, stuff it with cream cheese, sprinkle with seasonings and lay some bacon over the top, and roast. It's a PITA to pluck, but worth it a couple of times a year.

Other then that...JERKY!!! Didn't I already say that?!? [tasty]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jerky it or smoke it. Smoked goose or jerky is the only way to do it. You can grind it and make sausage, but if it isnt spicy, not worth the time.

PS- get the blood out!!! soak the shit out of it, freeze it, then thaw it in a well drained container to break down the meat and get the blood out.

·
Registered
545 Posts
crock pot with apple cider for 6to 8 hours... take it out, wash it off, shred it...empty crock pot...put goose back in crock pot with bbq sauce for another hour or so

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I love eating goose. I cut the breasts out and leave them whole. then I cook the breasts in a crock pot on low for 8 to 10 hours with carrots onions red potatoes and portabello mushrooms. then at the end I add heinz gravy. its real good

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
makes GREAT jerky, or smoke them and slice like roast beef

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Cedar Plank Goose, bake 20mins per pound. Toss goose eat plank.

·
Registered
755 Posts
just breast it out. take the drum sticks if you don't want to waste so much. there really isn't an appreciable amount of meat elsewhere on the bird.

the pin feathers are incredibly difficult to remove from a canada goose. i have tried dry plucking, scalding and wet plucking, and even coating the bird in wax. no methods produce satisfactory results with edible skin.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I kept the legs of a goose one year and cooked it up, wasn't terrible, but I won't waste my time doing it again. Too much good meat right in the breasts. As others have said, it does make great jerky but there's other good ways to cook it and enjoy it. One of my new favorites is the flying prime rib, after having this, I don't want to waste them on jerky anymore!!

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/recipes/flying-prime-rib

·
Registered
403 Posts
What can't you do with geese would yield a shorter answer.
Treat goose as you would a good piece of venison.All recipes and methods that apply to red meat work well with goose.

We tenderize the breasts with a meat hammer and slice them thin for making cutlets. I bread them with plain bread crumbs doctored up with Old Bay and grated Locatelli Romano cheese. Pan fry in a cast iron skillet and you will want to lick the pan clean.

If you like grilling, tenderize, baste with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with Montreal steak seasoning. Show it to the grill to scare it a little and then slice thin. Best London Broil you will ever have.

If you like scallopini, try this:
Slice the meat thin, saute it in extra virgin olive oil with salt and cracked black pepper. I then drain it and add it to a larger pan of sauteed red bell peppers, vidalia onion, portabella mushrooms and fresh sliced garlic. I add a can of chefs cut tomatoes and douse it with a little of my homemade **** red, cover the pan and cook for about an hour on low.
Serve it over linguini or rice and you will probably want to kill every goose that comes in front of you from that point on.

Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts