New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself i would say 8 points or better outside the ears.Also consider a hunt successful if i can get a deer within bowrange and let them walk.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Any goes for me, I don't trophy hunt so first come first served. When your hunting for the meet it doesn't really matter. A big one now and then is nice but I don't only hunt for them.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I think it's different for everybody depending on the property they hunt, the herd on the property, their experience level, their personal expectations and if they are attainable, and the opportunities they have available in the hunting time that they have available.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think it's different for everybody depending on the property they hunt, the herd on the property, their experience level, their personal expectations and if they are attainable, and the opportunities they have available in the hunting time that they have available.
right on[up]

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
One that's in range [ko]

·
Registered
790 Posts
button bucks are the most delicious thing ever invented![lol]

every deer i have ever shot was a shooter to me. to each his own. its not all about the antlers, i enjoy the time being out there

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
That depends... Haven't been out but once this year, so any deer comes by my stand gets an arrow. [smoke]

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reason i ask is because even though i hunt land that is heavily pressured i think the quality of bucks has improved over the last 5 years or so.
is it because people are being more selective with a one buck per season limit

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know the feeling joe!I was real close to that stage when luckily that 10 pt came out.you can only let so many walk before your trigger finger freaks out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
No matter how long you boil them, antlers just don't make good soup. :D

Since I hunt for meat, I don't much care about antler size. Of course, if I have a shot at a nice buck, I won't pass it up. But I don't limit myself to only shooting bucks of a certain size. In fact, the 7-pointer I shot on the 1st day of muzzleloader this year was by far the biggest buck I've ever killed, and only the 2nd one without at least one side of his rack broken off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts