New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Finally I got my hunter course done and persuade my GF hunting is not just killing(Whofff....). And start preparing for fall bow season.

Question comes. I do not have any friend who has lots of hunting experience. And I don't even see tree stand before I tried to buy one. (The model I am planning to buy is Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree stand)
What do you guys do when you first time get a tree stand for using it? [confused]I do saw a lot of video for tree stand fault. That's super awful...

Please give a new hunter a basic idea what should I do before the season start.

Or if you are a experienced hunter and use climber tree stand a lot. I will be very grateful if you can give me a introduce give me some tips. BTW I am located in the hudson county.

All the best hunters!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
as a new hunter maybe get some hunt time under yur belt before climbing. a ground blind or ladder stand might be a easier go. whatever you decide make sure you read all the instructions for the stand you purchase and follow the safety rules. you tube is loaded with info but i woulod try to find others in your area and ask lottsa questions. be safe!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Practice with it first. And also get in the habit of tying both the top and bottom portions of the stand together with a rope or ratchet. That is in case you are climbing and the bottom falls from out under you. You can try to fix it if you have the tied together. If not you could be SOL.

Have fun and be safe. Going up and getting down are the most dangerous parts.

Be aware of what you're doing before doing it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Two Most important things is to be sure to wear a safety harness and slide it up the tree as you go up, and as someone else mentioned, you must tie the top and bottom together. Be sure to have someone with you spotting you while you practice. Always have a knife and cell phone in an easily accesible pocket in case of emergency. Be safe!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you haven't bought the climber yet try to get one with a leveling function. It is a pain to figure out start angle without that. I have a Timbertall stand but they apparently went out of business. Also get a good full body harness and a tree attachment system. I forget the model of harness I have but I use a rope and prussic knot system that works for me. You stay attached to the tree all the time.I am too far away from you to do personal training.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Do some homework and buy the best fall protection you can get. Make sure it fits properly and is comfortable.(you get a set with the summit stands but you can get much better) Get in the habit of being attached to the tree when climbing up and down. Summit makes a great stand and one will last you a very long time, the CD that is provided with the stand will explain most of what you need to get started. As already stated, this is the time of year when you familiarize yourself with any and all new equipment you plan on using in the fall. Start out just climbing then use your haul rope to pull your bow and pack up a few times. It all comes together after a few sessions. Good Luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agree with all of the above.

Not sure I would start with a climber.

Buy a ladder stand to start.

You need a lot of practice with a climber. I have been climbing now about 4 seasons and there are still days I am climbing and get nervous or the climber slips a little.

Buy a good harness and a strong tree strap and always stay connected to the tree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You haven't lived till you have used a Baker treestand, the first one made for commercial sales. They've come a long way since then. Practice in your yard close to the ground and try all kinds of crazy positions till you feel comfortable and I would stick to setting it up only in daylight till you get some experience.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stick with afternoon hunts before you start trying to climb in the morning. I've hunted out of a climber all last season and I still get a bit shaky climbing in the dark. Safety belt is a must.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I see no reason not to start w a climber.....as long as you practice. Simple, DO NOT USE WITHOUT A HARNESS. Buy a harness, practice, practice. Go up and down, sit in it a while. Start shooting from it, etc. Plenty of time to learn

·
Registered
488 Posts
Get on a properly sized tree within your comfortable bow range distance from your deer trail or bait site, keep downwind of it and ALWAYS USE YOUR SAFETY HARNESS. [patcheye]

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Take your climber out in the woods and practice. Try trees of different sizes and types. Once you become good in the daylight try it in the dark. Don't listen to people trying to scare you out of using it because your new. As long as you are confident with it then go for it. Its really not rocket science. Lol Come up with a system that works for you and stick to it.
I have same stand. Be sure to use the string that ties sections together in case you lose the bottom going up. Also where your harness climbing. I have haul line attached to my stand that I tie my bow to. Once my stand is in place I pull my bow and pack up.
Some guys will take grinder to the teeth on the stand so they bite better into hardwoods. I hunt mostly pines so I didn't. Summit also makes a pack that attaches to the stand and after market backpacking straps that are much better than the ones that come with the stand. Good luck [up]

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cassvbuck

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
Don't lean sideways! Summit climber is very good climber . They will spin on the tree if you lean sideways ( don't ask how I know)
I used one in the back yard before in the field. When I switched climbers ( from Summit to X stand) I practiced in the back yard of a friend with him watching.
Climb slow take small chunks until you get a rhythm. You will slowly take bigger bites ( further up on each step) . I use a headlamp when climbing down in the dark and never found anything scary about it.
I am a fat old man so if I can do it you can.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
My first climber was a baker, they did not come with a climbing aid back then you hugged the tree and pulled yourself and the stand up. I got up about 20 feet or so and then slid all the way down holding on to that tree, I still have the scars on my arms 30 years later. YOU GUYS ARE SPOILED TODAY :)

Reactions: zipper

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yup, you don't know about excitement till you do the "Baker death slide" I was about 17 or so when I bought a baker treestand. The first time I slid down a big oak it cost me two pounds of skin and a camo shirt. There were some folks that were not as lucky. Stands have come a long ways from the 70's

1 - 20 of 37 Posts